Pollen allergies

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else noticed this year being worse than others or is it a local thing ? I've never had any noticeable hay fever or allergies up until this year, My first thought it was dirt/dust scratched my eyes from being outside in the wind a lot but starting to think otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Any over the counter relief that works decent ?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey...for some reason I'm just the opposite this year? Typically I get allergies in May when the tree/grass pollen counts first go up. Then it levels off/subsides. Then it flares again in August when the ragweed gets bad. Then it dies off completely in October and I don't usually sneeze much until the next May! This year has been really mild...but I've only raked/cut grass twice. I have the best luck with otc allergy meds with these ingredients...[FONT=pt_sansregular]Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg.[/FONT]

Honored Member
First time in 2 months ive been able to wear my contacts for a couple days in a row.

bobberdown

Opcan A allergy eyedrops, burn for about 5 seconds then aah

- - - Updated - - -

over the counter drops

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the responses , I started wearing ski goggles instead of dark safety glasses while out mowing and working in the wind and it made a difference to keep the wind out. It seems like most hay fever and allergies are noticed and diagnosed at a young age so I'm thinking I got enough dirt in them to scratch the eyeballs . All we had was some old visine and it didn't do much.

- - - Updated - - -

Have any of you noticed allergies getting worse as you get older or have you had it forever and it stays the same but varies year to year ?

bilbo

Honored Member
I’ve had decent luck with zyrtec and Claritin. When one quits working I switch to the other. The other thing that helps me is the Sudafed you have to get from behind the counter. The stuff on the shelf won’t cut it. Benadryl helps but knocks me right out. My mom swears by Flonase but it hasn’t done much for me.

My seasonal allergies seem to stay constant but the animal ones have improved somewhat over the last 10 years. I’ve had lots of issues since I was about 10 years old.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't really have any allergies growing up, now dust, sawdust, and some pollen bother me. It's not bad enough for me to take anything, once I shower and blow the snot out of my nose I am good again.

As far as pollen right now? My driveway is YELLOW, mostly from pine and spruce trees. It's frigging nuts how much there is at my place.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn't really have any allergies growing up, now dust, sawdust, and some pollen bother me. It's not bad enough for me to take anything, once I shower and blow the snot out of my nose I am good again.

As far as pollen right now? My driveway is YELLOW, mostly from pine and spruce trees. It's frigging nuts how much there is at my place.

Pollen levels higher or more intense because May was historically dryer than normal? Wouldn't rain disperse/minimize the pollen in the air? We just need some good rain days!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you noticed allergies getting worse as you get older or have you had it forever and it stays the same but varies year to year ?

Pollen/hay fever type allergies have basically disappeared in he last 5 years, but now hoppy beer clogs my sinuses and makes my eyes itch. I take a Claritin and a shot of Flonase daily. Helps a lot

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
ndfinfan, Not sure how, but probably because of the dry May (and April, and June) at my place, the pollen just hasn't been washed away. I think I've had around 35 hundredths of an inch of rain over the past 8 weeks. Dry as a bone here.

FlyCarpin, yeah...once in a while the beer stuffs me up as bad as anything else. I seem to just power on through it though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hops ? I have some growing up a trellis right next to the garage and I've been working right next to them on a daily basis all spring. I doubt they have much pollen this time of the year but it's an interesting theory . I haven't really measured but those buggers must grow/climb close to 6 inches a day.

- - - Updated - - -

They are a nice addition to the landscape , I hop they're not the culprit .

- - - Updated - - -

It make sense in a way that I've never had issues ever in the past and now it all of a sudden shows up .

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I don't know if hops are a problem whilest growing, but a lot of people have problems with them in a brew.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77