Hail claims?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got pounded with hail last night, golf ball to tennis ball size with lots of smaller stuff. Vehicles were inside but the house took a few hits. Not near as bad as I thought it would be, gutters have some dings but not bad. Fascia took a few hits and a few holes in screens. Haven't been on the roof yet but can see the vents got dinged up a bit. Given the size of the hail and the vents, my experience is they'll probably say the roof is toast.

I used to do a lot of hail repairs in the remodeling/construction business but am pretty far removed. What is the best way to play a hail claim these days? I am not trying to make money or screw anyone over. The damage is minimal and I had to replace the roof a few years ago due to a hail claim right when we moved in. I did the work myself but that seems to be more frowned upon anymore. I just don't know that it needs to be done, but not sure how to play it. Really don't want to raise the rates either.

My insurance agent already called this morning and there are four roofing company signs in the neighborhood already. Incredible. Anyhow, any advice is appreciated!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say let your insurance company send out an adjuster. They will determine the damage and how much they are going to pay, then you get to decide how to go forward.

Cracked shingles are hard to see from the ground, but once you get up on the roof and start looking they will stand out if you know what to look for.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I can find damage up there. I'm just tired of doing it every three years it seems. Any disadvantage of waiting?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once the insurance company cuts the check, I have to imagine they will expect it to be repaired in a timely manner. Otherwise you will be paying insurance costs for insuring your home (including the roof) even though the insurance company won't pay you for the roof if another storm were to come through next year.

Have you considered metal roofing? Or perhaps some of the other more hail resistant synthetic shingles?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I can find damage up there. I'm just tired of doing it every three years it seems. Any disadvantage of waiting?

Something to ask your agent but I believe shingles are pro-rated , If you don't do anything with them now and 5-10 years down the road you discover a leak it's most likely on your nickle. Or if you get hail 5 years from now you will get pro-rated the years of shingle life. Just working off my memory how my insurance was when we got hailed out.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Upgrade to the stone shingles and you'll likely never have to replace them. Costs more up front, but you'll also get a discount on insurance premiums.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Upgrade to the stone shingles and you'll likely never have to replace them. Costs more up front, but you'll also get a discount on insurance premiums.

Make sure that your roof framing can take the additional weight if stone shingles are heavier than composite shingles.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Does hail even raise the rates?

It has raised my rates after seven claims...we went with a 'Regional' insurer versus the national guys as rates are cheaper and the hurricanes won't affect their rates.

I'd like to have some kind of foldable car cover that has 1" closed cell foam I could pull out of the trunk and cover quickly. I don't ever seem to be at home with my car in the garage when it hails!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your rates go up for a claim, change companies

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info. I knew the roof was totaled but once I got up there I was surprise at the damage. Probably 20 spots nearly went through the shingles, and did for sure in a few spots. Good 30 year Malarkey shingles that are less than 5 years old. Pretty nasty hail. We'll see how the claim goes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75