River fishing with kids

Trappers Fox

I’m planning my first fishing trip with my 9 & 6 year old on the Missouri River right by Bismarck. I’m an amateur fisherman with limited tackle. I’m planning to drop jigs & minnows. I’m concerned with jig weight and how to find suitable spots for impatient kids. Any tips you can give me?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would use a floating jig and a weight about 12 to 18 up from the jig. Put a minnow of the jig and throw it out. Very easy and watch for your rod tip to move. I put the rod in a rod holder stuck in the ground

Happycamper

Honored Member
My kids were all introduced using a bare hook/minnow and a split shot. There were times I was out fished.

Trappers Fox

Thank you. How much weight do you recommend with the current? Whether split shot or trailing?

Xero

You likely won't be fishing IN the current but in slack water or edges of current so use enough weight to keep it in the general area you want it to be. You'll know when your line washes downriver.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully you're not out there today - yikes is it miserable windy. I assume you're going in a boat - there should be plenty of spots right in Bismarck between the Main St. bridge and Fort Lincoln to get out of the current behind sand bars and drift or sit still with jigs/minnows or crawlers. Lindy rig type setups are good for beginners too. You'll probably look for 6-12', maybe deeper depending on the spot. The closer you are to the shoreline, usually the more risk of snags, which can be a bugger with beginners. Another thing to consider in town is if you're going in the afternoon the pleasure boat traffic can get pretty heavy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are nearing the end of the "easy" catching on the river time of year. If you are going to be in a boat, remember to look for eddy's that produce calm'ish water. That's where you will find the walleyes. If you put in at Fox Island, shoot directly west from the boat ramp. There's a large section of calm water over there that should still hold some fish.

All in all, I wouldn't expect fishing to be hot and heavy, but a person should be able to scratch out a few fish using a jig and a minnow within the BisMan area, if you are fishing the weekends, plan to be on the water by 0800, and be prepared to be annoyed by the pleasure boating crowd around 1:30 - 2:00. At least, that was my strategy when I'd fish in town during the summers. Nowadays I travel a bit more to get away from the pleasure craft.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are nearing the end of the "easy" catching on the river time of year. If you are going to be in a boat, remember to look for eddy's that produce calm'ish water. That's where you will find the walleyes. If you put in at Fox Island, shoot directly west from the boat ramp. There's a large section of calm water over there that should still hold some fish.

All in all, I wouldn't expect fishing to be hot and heavy, but a person should be able to scratch out a few fish using a jig and a minnow within the BisMan area, if you are fishing the weekends, plan to be on the water by 0800, and be prepared to be annoyed by the pleasure boating crowd around 1:30 - 2:00. At least, that was my strategy when I'd fish in town during the summers. Nowadays I travel a bit more to get away from the pleasure craft.

Pleasure craft, you mean like the one Daunte Culpepper and da Bois had on Tonka?

Trappers Fox

I really appreciate your input. Thank you! I hope we get on the water tomorrow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76