Trolling for Salmon with in-line weights - 5 oz weights -

The_owl

Established Member
Last time i was at Scheels i picked up a couple packages of their 5 oz in-line weights. I've been using their 2 oz weights with the Precison App for a couple of years and i really enjoy that.

My question for you guys - is there a 'rule of thumb' in regards to adding more weight and getting more depth? Does every 1 oz of additional weight net you 6' in depth?

For example - i picked up a couple Yakima Mag Lip 3.5's and they are showing 33' @ 2.25 mph = 149' of line with the 50+2 method. Would this same line and speed = 51' when you substitute a 5 oz weight for a 2 oz?

I will do some trail and error once i get out and get after some salmon, but i figured i'd ask here as well.

thanks,

Owl

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They will work fine. But speed dependent. If you have heavy enough rods I would run dipsey divers

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be careful about where you are thinking of long-lining something like that. Downrigger users get real pissy when they run across your lines in the zoo that can be salmon chasing. They will cut your line and drop your tackle into the depths.

Yes, I've seen it firsthand.

The_owl

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up Allen! Lol, honestly i hadn't even given any thought about where i would start fishing. I have a cabin at Elmer's Point (McKenzie Bay, Mosset Bay area on Little Missouri River near the mouth of the Missouri) and i'm really sure i'll be the only guy out in the channel going salmon. I don't plan on venturing too far east - maybe Indian Hills or something. To be honest, i don't really even know how or where to start so i'll probably just try marking baitfish in the deep water and start trolling in 80-110 foot closest to points that i can.

i will keep the long-line cutting in mind though should i find other boats going after Coho!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, no coho around these parts anymore, it's chinook or nothing.

In that part of the world, I know back in the 80s there were people fishing around Pouch Point going after salmon. I "think" they mostly caught coho down there, but someone may be able to correct me on that. I am thinking 90% or more of the salmon chasing effort nowadays is within about 5 miles of Garrison Dam itself, again...someone can feel free to enlighten me.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, anyone in the peanut gallery know why the coho salmon program went away?

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn’t know we ever had coho. Only chinook as far as I knew

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108