Muzzleloader Points

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy and I were laughing over beers last Friday at how how bad my luck is in the lottery, so I started wondering how may other folks out there have as bad of luck as me. I'm carrying 11 muzzleloader, 5 rifle deer, and 6 Pronghorn points this year. I guess I should be thankful that Pheasants and Fishing are still over the counter.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy with like 12 or 13 muzzy points. Gotta be a record high.

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy with like 12 or 13 muzzy points. Gotta be a record high.
I bet there is quite a few with 12 or more. Last year there was something like 700 applicants with 10 or more.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I got my first tag last year with 9 muzzy points. I have 5 with rifle and 6 on the goat as well.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
11 muzzy points for me. I gave up on the Whitetail buck tags in my area cause I like deer sausage, seems I can get doe tag if I apply as first choice, so I just shoot trophy does now.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better odds of drawing damn good western elk and muley tags.

20200609_100601.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drew muzzy a couple years ago with 6. Only way to slow the applications would be to get rid of inline muzzy and go to traditional.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they adopted Idaho's muzzy regs they would be much easier to draw.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzleloader tags are gonna take longer and longer to draw more people applying all the time . I think my dad has 12 or 13 . So don’t complain it’s just way it is there’s only something like 650 muzzy buck tags . For pronghorn it’s gonna be probably 5-7 years depending on unit . As for deer , don’t complain , switch units/choices . There’s several as in Atleast 5-6 units that guys will draw whitetail bucks as second choice . Heck last year there was one unit that had leftover buck tags to buy first come first served . There also several units with good amounts of public that are high % draw for whitetail buck maybe not 100% but 50 or better . Whitetail and mule does can be got second choice or in the first come first served . So maybe u just need to adjust where your applying . I know guys that apply for mule buck and if they don’t draw they get a whitetail buck second choice and continue building points and still get to buck hunt . It’s not complicated

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the solution? Once/lifetime tags?

My opinion is make us choose to apply for a buck rifle tag OR buck muzzleloader tag. Draw odds will increase for each tag and it will spread out the hunting pressure over different seasons which is much needed on the state's reduced land access.

Oh wait cant to that, change is bad. How will we survive without drawing a muzzleloader tag every 12 years?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even with 10+ points, the odds last year were about 25%. It’s only going to get worse because way more people apply for it now. Of course if you just want to hunt with a muzzy you can get a doe pretty easy.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzleloader tags are gonna take longer and longer to draw more people applying all the time . I think my dad has 12 or 13 . So don’t complain it’s just way it is there’s only something like 650 muzzy buck tags . For pronghorn it’s gonna be probably 5-7 years depending on unit . As for deer , don’t complain , switch units/choices . There’s several as in Atleast 5-6 units that guys will draw whitetail bucks as second choice . Heck last year there was one unit that had leftover buck tags to buy first come first served . There also several units with good amounts of public that are high % draw for whitetail buck maybe not 100% but 50 or better . Whitetail and mule does can be got second choice or in the first come first served . So maybe u just need to adjust where your applying . I know guys that apply for mule buck and if they don’t draw they get a whitetail buck second choice and continue building points and still get to buck hunt . It’s not complicated

I disagree on the line of thinking that our muzzleloader tag system "just the way it is, dont complain".

Ironically, you bring up the reason when you recommend people to switch units/choices as it pertains to rifle deer tags. Thing is we have no choices on the muzzleloader draw, either apply or not apply.

Give everyone the option to choose between the firearm deer hunt they want. Muzz OR Centerfire (not both). We all hunt for different reasons and look for different things out of each hunt. Give everyone the option to choose the best hunt for them.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the “ apply for either Rifle or muzzleloader” comment . However I think the rifle draw % would stay roughly the same . Muzzy would get easier

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy and I were laughing over beers last Friday at how how bad my luck is in the lottery, so I started wondering how may other folks out there have as bad of luck as me. I'm carrying 11 muzzleloader, 5 rifle deer, and 6 Pronghorn points this year. I guess I should be thankful that Pheasants and Fishing are still over the counter.

Be careful what you wish for or you will get all three in the same year like I did a couple years back.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree on the line of thinking that our muzzleloader tag system "just the way it is, dont complain".

Ironically, you bring up the reason when you recommend people to switch units/choices as it pertains to rifle deer tags. Thing is we have no choices on the muzzleloader draw, either apply or not apply.

Give everyone the option to choose between the firearm deer hunt they want. Muzz OR Centerfire (not both). We all hunt for different reasons and look for different things out of each hunt. Give everyone the option to choose the best hunt for them.

Would that also apply to bow tags?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75