String of lights in the night sky

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you live Yoby?

Early this spring, I was in my driveway one night after dark, and noticed a tiny light moving directly west to east. High enough to appear to be a satellite. Then I noticed another behind it, following directly. then another behind that. Looked the other direction and there were more. evenly spaced, exact same speed and heading.

I could see about 5 at a time, from horizon to horizon.

A friend in the Air National Guard told me they were B2 bombers, along with tankers, doing refueling nighttime maneuvers. I'd never seen it before, but he said they do it every month or so. Somewhere out of Missouri I believe. The KC-135 Stratotankers are from Grand Forks.

Anyhow, about a month later, I was fishing at night, and saw them again.

It's a thing, I guess...

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen these satellites as well, but never as close together as that video shows. We have gone out and watched them a couple times in the driveway. every time we've seen them they appear from the west, and then make their way ESE and are usually spaced about 30 seconds apart or so.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live about 30 minutes N Sioux Falls.

What I saw was exactly what is in the video. Some brighter some less, but in a solid string like in the video.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I would have seen that before this thread I would have been shitting rubber nickels.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a fun site to track where space objects are. You have to update your location and it will let you see when stuff will fly by you and in which direction to look.

https://www.heavens-above.com/

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Aliens would be a welcome change of sorts. That is before they start the probing.:whaaaa:

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw something similar this spring, then read an article that it was satellites realigning? Cool yet freaky to watch.

bilbo

Honored Member
If I would have seen that before this thread I would have been shitting rubber nickels.

Haha shitting rubber nickels! I'm stealing that one. I'm sitting in a training seminar and choked on coffee when I read that.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah they are becoming a heated issue since they are wreaking havoc with astronomers and star gazers and there's only 362 of the planed 42,000 already in orbit.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like it was just yesterday when a man came and took out the Kellogg and replaced it with a rotary.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75