Killing grass for food plot

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to kill grass and weeds for a food plot, what chemical would be best to handle both??

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
40 ounces of Round-up per acre

plus 16 ounces wheelhouse or Class Act booster.

Give it ten days.

Round-up doesn't cause residual so won't hurt your broadleaf plantings like brassica or turnips.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
40 ounces of Round-up per acre

plus 16 ounces wheelhouse or Class Act booster.

Give it ten days.

Round-up doesn't cause residual so won't hurt your broadleaf plantings like brassica or turnips.

I like to throw a little whiskey in the tank. Ya know, one or several for me and one for my soon to be dead deer homies.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just went and look at some plots i had spray round up on about one week ago. All brown except for sow thistle. Certain weeds round up does not kill but works good on grass.
So next time need to put some 24d ester in with the round up just like the big boys do down on the farm. d

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use about 2 quarts of roundup and 2 quarts of wheelhouse and a little surfactant in my 25 gallon sprayer and try to do about an 1-1.5 acres per tank. I didn’t get very good kill on my plots this year but with it so dry in our parts I don’t think the weeds were very actively growing. Just switched the plots around some to put roundup ready seed in the ones that were the worst for weeds.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying Fritz wrong.... but 40oz?? ::wowzers:: He must be one of those guys that likes to see shit turn brown in 4 days. ;:;rofl The trouble with 40oz is stuff dies to fast and you don't get enough roundup into the roots to kill the roots completely. 28oz of generic roundup with the wheelhouse\Class Act and 5 to 7.5 gallons of water per acre will be enough. And as db said, for those tougher broadleaf weeds you can add some form of 24D to the mix. LV6 at 6 to 8oz per acre is enough.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
roundup .jpeg

Has anyone tried this ? I've used quite a bit of roundup in the past when I was farming and had mixed results. I always blamed it on the makeup water from our well or weather conditions. On the spur of a moment we decided to spray my boys yard one weekend when he was building a new house so I went to TSC and bought a jug and have been using the rest of it up around the farm . I'm having way better results than I ever had with roundup. No solid explanation other than it seems to work better for me.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tym
also put 2 quarts in my 25 gal sprayer and also about 1-1.5 acres or so.
A good week and grass is brown. So maybe the mix could be weaker. And yes one can kill weeds to quick on top and not get the roots.

but round up is a God sent for grass on small plots when one does not have equipment to work with. Found that I can spray my white clover with grass in it until this spring the white clover was gone. Not sure if round up did it when I put on last year or not. Db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure I had a reasonable (not 40 ounce) mix of roundup that I used to go after some weedy grasses (quack, etc) in my rural lawn this summer.

Afterwards I sowed grass seed of a more desirable style.

8 weeks later and the quack, and other grasses, came in just as strong as ever and my desirable grass seed is intermittent, at best. Fugging drought!

I will probably hit it with round up again over the coming weeks and try to reseed come this fall. Damnit!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
i should clarify i don't use roundup I use generic glyphosate like buccaneer or something along them lines, even used the farmworks glyphosate. I also always used hard well water. Its amazing the difference adding a water conditioner like wheelhouse makes. I used to always mix two quarts per 25 gallons or about 1-1.5 acres. I use a boomless sprayer on the Polaris ranger and I don't feel that it does the best job for coverage on the weeds so I always wanted to mix on the strong side. I wasn't getting the best kill with that mix and started adding wheelhouse into the tank before the glyphosate and it seemed to make a huge difference. I was worried I would get resistant weeds by not getting a full kill so I kept my mix strong and seems like I've had really good success except for this year with the drought, the weeds yellowed up some but not sure if I got a full kill. So far I've had pretty good luck by rotating my pheasant mixes which I cant spray due to seed mixture with something roundup ready every other year.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying Fritz wrong.... but 40oz?? ::wowzers:: He must be one of those guys that likes to see shit turn brown in 4 days. ;:;rofl The trouble with 40oz is stuff dies to fast and you don't get enough roundup into the roots to kill the roots completely. 28oz of generic roundup with the wheelhouse\Class Act and 5 to 7.5 gallons of water per acre will be enough. And as db said, for those tougher broadleaf weeds you can add some form of 24D to the mix. LV6 at 6 to 8oz per acre is enough.

Yep, 40 ounces. You want to kill it or not?

Another thing.....let your water warm up in the sun a couple days before applying. Chemical like soap, mixes better with warmer water. And use soft water. Hard well water is bad.

Today I am seeding 70 acres to grass with legumes. I have not used 2-4-D or any broadleaf herbicide to date because I don't want residual in the soil that can screw up my alfalfa, sainfoin and cicer milkvetch seedlings.

Also in the mix is Dakota Switchgrass, Meadow Brome, Pubescent Wheatgrass and Intermediate Wheatgrass.

Straight Alfalfa isn't a good stand anymore. In 2002 we had an infestation of weevils and this 2020 spring has been dry, cold and windy much like 2002. The weevils are back.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77