Phone apps 101

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never downloaded a phone app so I have a question or two before I start. Do they take up a lot of phone memory/storage ? Are there any apps to stay away from or any preferred apps for identifying plants, weeds, birds and insects ? I think it would be cool to be able to take a picture of something and get a positive ID and learn more about it.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I look at reviews, number 1. Obviously the more the better. Just Google "Plant ID App" and lots come up. Memory is different for each app. You can usually regulate what features on your phone the app wants control of. If you try it and don't like it, delete it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate apps they all seem to want to access your data and photos track your whereabouts they suck

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate apps they all seem to want to access your data and photos track your whereabouts they suck

like the care 19 app that our governor as touting so readily to download then it comes out they share privacy info....yeah let me download an app that tells me literally everywhere ive been.....hard fucking no.. im not even a bad guy that does anything wrong but seriously you want an app to be able to store literally wherever you go.

I turn off all my location settings on my onx maps, base maps all that shit until I am hunting and need them. im sure there still tracking me but the amount of sheeple that are fine with this is mind blown

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
the user of a free app is usually the product. Lots of phones come with apps preinstalled that sometimes cannot even be deleted. Seems likely we are all being tracked whether apps/companies are up front about it or not

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your location isn't turned off under your settings, google or apple are tracking your whereabouts anyways. along with probably a few other apps you aren't aware of. so, the care19 thing doesn't concern me a whole lot. i haven't downloaded it. but, not too concerned if i did. no other way to track possible exposure without knowing where you've been.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh....You're phone is tracking you, and listening...there's no doubt....but who are they sharing it with??? Do you really want another app doing it??

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife has 'Picture This' and it works well. When we were in AZ last year she used it a lot and it was very fast to respond It even works if I have a picture on my phone and she views it will tell her what it is.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to google Picture this , My bride and I might get a laugh or two out of this app if I play it right .

I don't like that we are being monitored through our cell phone but that can work both ways too, I only hope it's being used an effective tool in fighting crime and if so I am probably ok with it, I just don't know the Who What When where or why of it all. I'm guessing somewhere there is a federal building or several of them full of computers programmed to produce live time data and if your name is on a black list you get a red flag and monitored. Other than that it probably creates data about where people go and spend money so I can see it being used as an investors tool. What else am I missing ? Can it be a hackers tool or backfire and someone steals my Identification ?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Odds are if it is a popular app ( many downloads ), you will be fine. If looking for something for plants, I have used this and works excellent.
https://www.plantsnap.com

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Android has a ton more 3rd party apps than apple does so looking at how many have downloaded the app and reviews is best to start. And please always buy twice as much storage (gb-wise) in a phone then you think you'll ever need.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Espringers absolutely there tracking us regardless but I sit with Rowdie on this one why make it any easier when the whole preface of an app is to track your every movement? Seems pretty messed up people are actually going along with it and they think it’s to “ keep them safe”
says the fox telling the chickens.....

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a samsung phone and I downloaded spotify, but no icon shows up anywhere, I have to go to google play, search for spotify, then open it from there, very odd.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand why an app would change anything or make it easier for LEOs. All of the major phone manufacturers make their phones with GPS capabilities. Even when your phone is off, the GPS is working. All this position data is logged by either your Service Provider or the cell phone manufacturer (or both). If the police wanted to know where you are, they can get with your Service provider and get real time GPS data from your cell phone. Here In North Dakota the police do not need a search warrant to monitor your cell phones location state laws vary.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy...cking/cell-phone-location-tracking-laws-state

- - - Updated - - -

That was the only site that I found with a map with state by state info and there is no date when it was published, Don't shoot the messenger.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davy

thats an interesting bit of info and seems pretty ass backwards. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this covid shit is how far our govt will go to control people’s lives In the name of safety and I hope burgum and company face many many many lawsuits.
i don’t think anyone is shooting the messenger on anything if your not afraid or have no concern go download all the apps. I prefer a more cautious approach which like many said prolly doesn’t make a dam difference anyways but the attitude that “ whatever there gonna get it anyways” is part of the reason America is heading the direction it’s heading .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
jdinny

Sometimes we have a tendency to be nearsighted and only look at one side of the coin with modern day technology . I remember when people cheered after we discovered those GPS pucks you mounted on a boat so you could drive right up to those sunken Islands, Or the new vehicle advances in vehicles where if you ever get locked out of your vehicle or if it ever gets stolen they could unlock your doors for you and even track your vehicles VIA satellite if it gets stolen. It all came as a price , Vehicle prices have since doubled and the technology is also being used in other applications.

I don't like the other side of the coin any better than you do but it's already here and probably not going to go away anytime soon. At this point the only thing to do is to push for a search warrant to utilize the information in ND . :;:huh There is a rock and a hard spot with a silver lining in between.

As far as Burgum's decisions ? Time will tell. This thing is like pushing a rope and I have respect for it for what it is but not the Political motives involved. I feel Burgum has done a good job when you compare it to other states. The biggest gripe I have is his agreeing to spend federal covid money to bring in 500 workers for a few months to plug these old abandoned oil wells . We have the capabilities to do this with local workers and contractors within the state on a smaller scale and keep our own men working for 4 or 5 warm weather seasons.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76