Log book/trip report

701Rounder

How many of you others keep a log book/trip report of your daily/weekly fishing adventures? I started this year, detailing each trip with water temps/presentations/results. 13 trips in the book so far, mostly starting in Newtown then moving to the hook/parshall, 2 to darling, 1 to devils lake.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always had a log in the fish house, and I found a notebook from a few years elk hunting in the late 70's. kind of cool reading back, had all bulls / cows calves per day and which ridge / coulee, times, dates weather etc.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup...been keeping a spreadsheet for both open water and ice fishing since 2015. Just the basics from each trip out...location, water temp or ice thickness, bait used, what worked/what didn't...just general info.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'am taking my little black book with me through the furnace.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have kept a fishing log for the last fifteen years. This year I decided not to. Already regretting it. I %100 recommend it for anyone who is serious about being a better fisherman. The patterns that emerge for each lake is ridiculous, stuff you won’t learn in magazines. Lake specific patterns and of course seasonal patterns. They hold true year after year.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know how you guys do it ---- i am just faced with the fact that i work to much and i have way to much other stuff going on. Between the trolling motor electronics 50mph wind snags tolling motor sucking in a slip bobber -- i dont have time to document and then to read the documentation later. Plus the lake weather and patterns in my opinion change so much; as sammy hagar says
Yesterday, yesterday is dead and gone

Good fishing this weekend -- looks a lot less windier -- this guy has a smile on his face :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wish I had the discipline

what's in my noggin will have to suffice - I'm still pretty good at remembering patterns/bites/seasons but I'm sure it's ineffective vs a journal

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Never done it for fishing be we have a log my grandpa started when I was little for hunting. 35 now and my uncle is carrying it on. It has the date where we hunted who hunted with him who shot what. Pretty cool to look back and see how much a kid can improve there were a lot of 0's in most columns for me. Ha ha hopefully one day I will get the book being the oldest grandson.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I document photos of catches year over year. I also look back on water levels and and temperature. The patterns usually hold true within about a week, year over year. I'm thinking I will hit a crappie crank bait bite within this week.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I document photos of catches year over year. I also look back on water levels and and temperature. The patterns usually hold true within about a week, year over year. I'm thinking I will hit a crappie crank bait bite within this week.

ha ha - samesies!

I look back at the date/year of that "hot bite a few years back on such and such lake" and time my return that way

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know how you guys do it ---- i am just faced with the fact that i work to much and i have way to much other stuff going on. Between the trolling motor electronics 50mph wind snags tolling motor sucking in a slip bobber -- i dont have time to document and then to read the documentation later. Plus the lake weather and patterns in my opinion change so much; as sammy hagar says
Yesterday, yesterday is dead and gone

Good fishing this weekend -- looks a lot less windier -- this guy has a smile on his face :)

If I sucked a bobber into the electric that might be enough to send me right over the edge, sink my boat and swim to shore. With the exception of some early season very shallow bobber fishing I despise bobbers and refuse to use them.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to jot down the barometric pressure each morning and whether it was rising falling or steady at the time...in hopes of finding a pattern for better fishing. Just above or just below 30 and rapidly falling seemed to be best for me...although have heard from other barometric pressure watchers that they had better luck when it was rising. I quit tracking it as i don't get out fishing nearly as much as i used to so when i do go out, I don't worry about barometric pressure.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kept track of the barometric pressure for years and could never find a pattern one way of the other. I finally gave up on it and no longer record it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77