Boat Slip Water Scum

danl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure it has been discussed on here before. I have looked through old threads but didn't find much.

We just got a pontoon and the previous owner left it in a slip and with the motor down. So the scum has sat on there from last year. I have been looking online for some remedies. I've read that Limeaway works pretty well and Muriatic Acid. I tested a few small spots with things that I had in the garage, but I don't want to start removing paint from the motor.

I am wondering what you people use?
IMG_6196.jpgIMG_6197.jpgIMG_6198.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lime-away and CLR both work excellent. My old Optimax would turn the midsection white after a month of use, those and a coat of wax kept it looking like new!

- - - Updated - - -

Starbeite makes good stuff also but it’s harder to find unless you have time to order off of amazon or wherever

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Works toilet bowl cleaner works good for that and might be cheaper for as much as you have to do.
Safe A.R. will also work and can be bought at Scheels or a boat shop.

I have used both. In your situation I would probably start with the toilet bowl cleaner.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazing how oxalic acid labeled for boat cleaning is 10x more expensive than oxalic acid labeled for shitters, isn't it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rbnainfo.com/product.php?productLineId=321

Oops. The above is for a different Lysol formulation, the one in the green labeled container.

The guy above used the blue container, and that does indeed use Hydrochloric acid. A lot of boat motor manufacturers (Mercury for sure) will tell you that HCL is not safe to use on their motors. I'm guessing it's hard on the paint and plastic parts.

This is the actual list of stuff in the blue containers of Lysol toilet bowl cleaners.

http://www.rbnainfo.com/product.php?productLineId=1815

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67