Installing rod guides

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have four newer Fenwick rods. These are all rods built after Berkeley bought them. Every damn rod has a broken eyelet midway up the rod. Not tips. In all the years of fishing I have never had an eyelet break out the ceramic on an eyelet. Now every Fenwick rod I have and actually my omen rod has one. None of my other rods have issues. So I want to replace the broken ones. Watched some youtubes on it and doesn’t appear to be anything tough to do. Got to looking at different tooling and The Mudhole has a very inexpensive Turner for about $40. Curious if anybody has used it? They make this in a 9rpm and an 18rpm. Anybody have a preference? Guide brand preference? I’m assuming Fuji is excellent?

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the the “turner” will be strictly for applying epoxy and drying the 9 rpm is the way to go.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like forecast guides because the feet are already ground and they have good ceramic inserts. The mudhole turners work fine. I have the 9rpm and two other turners (1 is home built from a small motor from Mac's hardware.
For rod wrapping, Take a cardboard box and cut out supports for the rod. Then run thread through a phone book (turn pages to adjust tension). I use cheap kids paint brushes (1 use) and really like high-build flex coat epoxy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76