Sierra Gamechanger Bullets

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone tried these yet? Been searching for load data and can't find anything online. Reviews seem positive, but I'd like to hear from you guys if anyone has some firsthand experience. Any load data would be helpful as well.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call Sierra they always appear willing to help when I have called. I have shot a couple hundred rounds of 165 out of my 308. I have not taken an animal with them. I use the same load data as the old game king. My rifle prefers the Hornady ELD-X as far as accuracy. https://youtu.be/3UnmfK_w9yI

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive loaded some for my 6.5 but havent shot them yet... Im a fan of sierra bullets in general.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call Sierra they always appear willing to help when I have called. I have shot a couple hundred rounds of 165 out of my 308. I have not taken an animal with them. I use the same load data as the old game king. My rifle prefers the Hornady ELD-X as far as accuracy. https://youtu.be/3UnmfK_w9yI

I called them yesterday and was just told to buy the book if I want load data. I've never shot sierra bullets so I don't have the book. Anyone with the latest edition that would be willing to post a picture of the load data for the 180 grn. gamechanger?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I called them yesterday and was just told to buy the book if I want load data. I've never shot sierra bullets so I don't have the book. Anyone with the latest edition that would be willing to post a picture of the load data for the 180 grn. gamechanger?

Well that's horseshit....maybe just shoot Barnes? :cool:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
go off load data of the same weight bullet from another brand. if your reloading purley off a manual without checking pressure signs of brass you may sooner or later run into a problem. do yourself a favor learn what pressure signs look like and you wont need a loading manual
if you understand pressure signs and what to look for. start low work up....

- - - Updated - - -

for instance i dont own a relaoding manual. i shoot 100% exclusivey berger VLD,s or elite hunters. i just broke in and am curretly working my 6mm CM up. i took hogdon load data of H4350 for a 107 gr bullet. im shooting the 105 VLD i started low worked up found my max, back off. this gun just shot .357" group at 200 yards.

- - - Updated - - -

im sure plenty with disagree with me on the manual but if i could choose a manual or understanding pressure signs i would choose understanding pressure signs well before ever owning a manual. reloading manuals are a good starting point but should never be the end all gospel truth

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Sierra app on my phone that has load data for a lot of there bullets. Not sure if I paid for it or not but I don’t think I had to pay. I think it’s called Sierra reloading manual 6.0 or something like that. I noticed Hornady has a reloading app as well, so I just downloaded that as well.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Been shooting the barnes the past few years. I just want to test some different bullets now that I installed an aftermarket bottom metal and can actually shoot longer bullets out of the Tikka. The barnes like to be seated deeper anyways so I can always go back to them.

- - - Updated - - -

go off load data of the same weight bullet from another brand. if your reloading purley off a manual without checking pressure signs of brass you may sooner or later run into a problem. do yourself a favor learn what pressure signs look like and you wont need a loading manual
if you understand pressure signs and what to look for. start low work up....

- - - Updated - - -

for instance i dont own a relaoding manual. i shoot 100% exclusivey berger VLD,s or elite hunters. i just broke in and am curretly working my 6mm CM up. i took hogdon load data of H4350 for a 107 gr bullet. im shooting the 105 VLD i started low worked up found my max, back off. this gun just shot .357" group at 200 yards.

- - - Updated - - -

im sure plenty with disagree with me on the manual but if i could choose a manual or understanding pressure signs i would choose understanding pressure signs well before ever owning a manual. reloading manuals are a good starting point but should never be the end all gospel truth

I completely agree, but I usually use the factory manual as a starting point. I'll likely just go off the load data that I've been using for the 180 grain barnes bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Sierra app on my phone that has load data for a lot of there bullets. Not sure if I paid for it or not but I don’t think I had to pay. I think it’s called Sierra reloading manual 6.0 or something like that. I noticed Hornady has a reloading app as well, so I just downloaded that as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. The guy from Sierra never mentioned that! Downloading it right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of information in the app. Slightly disappointed that they don't offer that bullet in 180 grain. May have to look into the bergers.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right on man. You’d be fine starting with any similar designed bullet woth that weight.
If you shoot the Berger VLD make sure to have a knowledgeable reloader modify you seating die or buy the berger VLD seating stem.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive loaded some for my 6.5 but havent shot them yet... Im a fan of sierra bullets in general.

So you’re a fan of over paying for bullets?
#theyallkill
#hornady

- - - Updated - - -

or maybe just shoot your self in the face instead of letting Barnes rape your wallet.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right on man. You’d be fine starting with any similar designed bullet woth that weight.
If you shoot the Berger VLD make sure to have a knowledgeable reloader modify you seating die or buy the berger VLD seating stem.

So what's special about seating the berger bullets? I've been reloading for quite a while, but never reloaded any bergers. Just curious why I would need anything special to load them as opposed to any other bullet that I've loaded.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what's special about seating the berger bullets? I've been reloading for quite a while, but never reloaded any bergers. Just curious why I would need anything special to load them as opposed to any other bullet that I've loaded.

I’m guessing he’s referring to the shape of the bullet being long and extremely pointy. Some seating dies are designed for a more rounded tip. I’ve not heard anything specific about seating depth, just run them close to the lands. I’ve been using a universal ponsness/warren seating die for about a decade now. Best thing since sliced bread, especially for small cal stuff.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are many things I have a problem shelling out extra cash for. Bullets that I know perform every single time I do my part aren't one of them. All my hunting loads will continue to shoot TSX or TTSX even if they double in price. That's how much I believe in them. I've been hunting with them for over 15 years now. Dead critters don't lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Tip for the frugal:

Game Kings have almost the exact POI as most of my Barnes loads out of most of my rifles. Exceptions being my 7 SAUM and 6.5 manbun

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a really poor experience with Barnes 150gr tsx out of a 30-06 on a whitetail Buck about 17 years ago and I haven’t been able to trust them since. He took three bullets that didn’t seem to expand or transfer much energy. They weren’t the best shots but I have no doubt a standard cup and core bullet wouldn’t have performed better. I Shoot the 100 tsx out of my 257 weatherby since the previous owner had a great shooting load in it and I’ve had great luck with them in that rifle but that is a lighter bullet at high velocities.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've heard similar stories from others. I can honestly say that has not happened to me.

The 80 TTSX around 3000 fps is an absolute deer slaying machine!!

- - - Updated - - -

Any bullet manufacture that comes out with something and calls it "The Gamechanger" better perform. lol It is an interesting bullet though.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a really poor experience with Barnes 150gr tsx out of a 30-06 on a whitetail Buck about 17 years ago and I haven’t been able to trust them since. He took three bullets that didn’t seem to expand or transfer much energy. They weren’t the best shots but I have no doubt a standard cup and core bullet wouldn’t have performed better. I Shoot the 100 tsx out of my 257 weatherby since the previous owner had a great shooting load in it and I’ve had great luck with them in that rifle but that is a lighter bullet at high velocities.

Ive had great results with my 308 throwing 110ttsx, for 3006 those or the 130s would be better than 150s, except maybe on elephant...

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think the Barnes bullets had really been out for very long when I had my experience so I didn’t really know to load lighter weight at higher velocities. I’ve seen good results from others and the 100gr tsx out of the weatherby absolutely hammers deer and antelope even out to longer distances.

I also had an early year Nosler ballistic tip 150gr out of the same 30-06 come completely apart at about 50 yards on a large bodied whitetail. Bullet went in through the thinner part of the shoulder blade, hit a rib square on and that’s all the further the hole went, everything further was just shrapnel and small fragments. The deer didn’t go very far but not a stellar performance by any means in my books.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77