Pike at van hook...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a couple buddies looking for some big gators... they have a smaller boat and I was thinking north and west of the boat ramp so they don't have to go too far...

Any reports anyone is willing to share???

Thanks...

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't caught many pike in the hook this year & have been cranking a lot. I would stay under 10 feet & troll shorelines. sorry that's all I got.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea there aren’t many caught in the arm. Cranks are the best bet

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a couple buddies looking for some big gators... they have a smaller boat and I was thinking north and west of the boat ramp so they don't have to go too far...

Any reports anyone is willing to share???

Thanks...
The biggest pike I have caught we’re pulling cranks 5-10’ above the deep flats when off course driving the boat. The big northerns must love chasing suspended bait fish. Shallows are another good place to try.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks... anywhere else to the west of there???

i haven't fished this lake for pike for years...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest pike the wife and I have both have caught are both outnof van hook and both were deep 25-30ft mid summer fishing walleye. Both were slightly more than 35” so not huge pike but a solid surprise coming that deep.
caight 2 pike this year both came within minutes of each other both small

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capture.jpg Seems some on Facebook are embellishing fish populations in Sakakawea... ;:;badidea

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
measure.jpg Seems some on Facebook are embellishing fish populations in Sakakawea... ;:;badidea

I know this is completely untrue. But.. holy crap.

My dad used to tell me stories about Sakakawea. About the divers that had to go down an recover a crashed airplane, and when they came back up, they left, saying they'd never dive that lake again. about how, in the dark, something swam by one of them, and it swam by and swam by, like 12 or 14 ft long. The guy had white hair when he came back up.

Now, I was 8, when I first heard this, and it shook me. 42 years later, I know better, but the thought of some monster in that lake is both terrifying, and delicious.

If I were swimming, or tubing, or whatever, and saw a sturgeon like that, I'd probably get up and outwalk Jesus across the lake.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know this is completely untrue. But.. holy crap.

My dad used to tell me stories about Sakakawea. About the divers that had to go down an recover a crashed airplane, and when they came back up, they left, saying they'd never dive that lake again. about how, in the dark, something swam by one of them, and it swam by and swam by, like 12 or 14 ft long. The guy had white hair when he came back up.

Yep heard the same story growing up, the older I get I seem to find out pretty much every man made lake and bridge in the country seems to carry the same story. That being said I do want to go set up in 50 feet with a half a goldeye on the hook and see what happens. We know there are 5 foot+ sturgeon in there so why not give it a shot?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good buddy used to dive in front of the dam. Was totally amazed at the size of the fish he’d see

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
85-125 feet long? ;:;rofl

No doubt there's probably some 4-6 foot sturgeon down there but probably not much bigger.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 100 lb paddlefish swimming by with its mouth open would catch a person's attention, even if you already knew it only ate zooplankton.

Same with the sturgeon.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW,

If'n I were to attempt to chase pike in that area, first and foremost...I'd put in on the river and go up to Little Knife Bay. If stuck in the Hook, go over to Shell Creek and troll or pitch shallow running cranks into the shallows, husky jerks work well for them. AFter that, the railroad trestle NW of the Hook's ramp is a good bet for finding pike. And lastly, try the shallows over at Littlefields.

A good friend of mine that has a lot of ND outdoors experience chases pike a LOT during the summer. One of his favorite lures is a rat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75