Smoker build

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m in the process of turning a commercial oven into a smoker. My plan is to install a propane burner as the fire source for the chip box and heat for finishing. I want the system to be controlled by an electronic thermostat for my precise temps. I’m having difficulties finding anyone who knows much about it though. Are there any plumbing and heating guys here that can put together the parts list for me to accomplish this? I’m willing to hire and pay the right guy who can design the system. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to be able to cold smoke and crank the smoker up to 250ish to finish meats as well.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you looked into any apps for your phone? Weber and BGE both have temp-controllers that one can run off of a phone..........

Gas water heater controls maybe?

Last edited:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
On the ones I built I use a Ranco electronic temperature control, they are way more accurate than the ones found in an oven. Not sure how that would connect with the gas systems, but it works good for the electric ones I’ve made. Opinions on building a smoker are like assholes, everyone has one! Temp control and airflow, to me, are key.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
KW is there a specific reason you want to go with propane over electric ? Electric is an easier and cheaper build for a DIY project.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not opposed to electric as long as it can reach and maintain a higher temp for the space. The internal dimensions are 24 1/2“ wide, 29 1/2” deep, and 57” high.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67