Bronze Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 24
    [QUOTE=Creek Chub;236017]
    Quote Originally Posted by drayweb View Post
    Was thinking about getting one for bowhunting in the badlands or for riding the Maah Daah Hey trail or just riding to work in the summertime. I know they have restrictions about motorized vehicles on the trail, but I don't think this would affect that would it? Would a fat tire bike be better or should I just get a regular mountain bike? Here are a couple that I found on the internet.

I ride a Trek Powerfly FS 7 and really like it. It's like non-assisted mountain biking but better. Yeah, the Maah Daah Hey Trail is off limits--for now--but that will change once everyone realizes how much fun e-bikes are. They have a motor but from a practical standpoint they are more like regular bikes than motorbikes and it's only a matter of time before trails open up to them.
    I know that ebikes are getting more popular but I hope they will never be allowed on the MDH. To me if they can travel faster they 10mph without pedaling it's considered a motor vehicle.

As for hunting I could see someone who is handicapped and physically incapable of traveling far distances benefiting from these bikes. For the physically capable hunters just grab a lower gear and keep pedaling.

2 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,907
    Given: 2,441
    Motors can be electric or combustion driven. Still a motor per definition

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #23
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,389
    Given: 351
    Classifieds
    Haha. Fat people have successfully conquered the biking world now too. Bringing down exercise, one activity at a time.

0 Not allowed!
    The green hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!

4. Back To Top    #24
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 63
    Classifieds
    As an avid biker, I see the benefits of E-Bikes but I am not a fan of opening up every trail to them. Maybe it's like traditional bowhunters vs. compound hunters back in the day. We're all here to enjoy the same thing, maybe method shouldn't matter. From a straight mountain biking standpoint, I think that the battle of pedaling up/down/around the terrain is a big part of it and E-assist doesn't fit my line of thinking. Any bike that can go 15 mph without pedaling isn't a bike, period. I bust my ass riding up 15 miles of challenging singletrack and then a guy pops up behind me happy as all get out because he had E assist to do the same thing. That just doesn't sit well with me. The mountain bike race world is strongly against them....any race has a strict NO E BIKES policy well defined.

However, I can see how it opens up the doors to more people being on bikes. Well, at least those with money. They are expensive, even by bike standards. But I do a road ride every year and several older folks do 70+ miles on E-Bikes. That is cool. So there is a place for them.

In terms of hunting, I think they would be a nice tool. I sweat like crazy so pedaling in I would be drenched. But they could get you into places way faster than walking. But, at what point do we draw the line on technology assisting us as hunters? That is a question each person has to answer themselves. I'd rather do it the hard way. Maybe I'm an idiot LOL!

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12