NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 0
    Classifieds

E Bikes

Was thinking about getting one for bowhunting in the badlands or for riding the Maah Daah Hey trail or just riding to work in the summertime. I know they have restrictions about motorized vehicles on the trail, but I don't think this would affect that would it? Would a fat tire bike be better or should I just get a regular mountain bike? Here are a couple that I found on the internet.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ource=facebook

https://x-tremescooters.com/products...con-48-volt#/1

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 373
    Classifieds

3 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,318
    Given: 2,769
    USFS and BLM consider them non-exempt motorized vehicles

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,664
    Given: 2,536
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Carpin View Post
    USFS and BLM consider them non-exempt motorized vehicles
    When did they pass that? What wattage?

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,452
    Given: 3,238
    Classifieds
    I've looked at these bikes before, but just the thought and image of riding anywhere with a full pack, rifle/bow, and other gear draped over my shoulders and I find that hidden badger hole with the front tire. Flying ass over tea kettle with all that gear strapped on just takes the wonderment right out of the whole bike thing. Good Luck! Hope you find what you like.

0 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,572
    Given: 2,775
    I want an electric tracked vehicle with a platform that I can lay on and shoot a rifle in prone position that can travel up to 5mph and also has adjustable clearance, so you can raise and lower the shooting platform on the fly, for going over deeper grass or small obstacles like rocks.

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 644
    Given: 547
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
    I've looked at these bikes before, but just the thought and image of riding anywhere with a full pack, rifle/bow, and other gear draped over my shoulders and I find that hidden badger hole with the front tire. Flying ass over tea kettle with all that gear strapped on just takes the wonderment right out of the whole bike thing. Good Luck! Hope you find what you like.

I know very little in the way of info on this KDM but a buddy in MT has backed a cow elk with them and swears by them so again don't know specifics of his trail/situation other than he uses it quite often and like it so must be some advantages to them

0 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 43
    U.S. Forest Service
    Briefing Paper
    Date:
    February 15, 2017
    Topic:
    Electric Bicycles (E-bikes)
    Issue:
    Classification of E-bikes Under the Travel Management Rule (TMR)
    Summary/Key Points
     - E-bikes are motorized bicycles.
     - E-bikes are growing in popularity, and their design and capabilities are rapidly changing.
     - E-bikes travel at speeds of 20 to 28 mph, compared to pedestrians and non-motorized bicycles, which typically travel at speeds ranging from 3 to 10 mph.
     - The Forest Service is monitoring new technologies, visitor access and safety, social and sustainability issues, and natural resource effects associated with e-bike use on NFS roads and NFS trails.
     - The TMR defines "motor vehicle" as "any vehicle which is self-propelled, other than (1) a vehicle operated on rails; and (2) any wheelchair or mobility device, including one that is battery-powered, that is designed solely for use by a mobility-impaired person for locomotion, and that is suitable for use in an indoor pedestrian area." 36 CFR 212.1.
     - This definition is consistent with the definition for a "wheelchair" in federal wilderness in section 508(c)(2) of the Americans With Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. 12207(c)(2).
     - E-bikes do not meet either exception to the definition of a motor vehicle in the TMR.
     - Consistent with 36 CFR 212.1, the Forest Service is managing e-bikes as motor vehicles.
     - The International Mountain Bike Association regards e-bikes as motorized devices.
     - The Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Federal Highway Administration, and the nations of Canada, Australia, Europe, and South Africa regard e-bikes as motor vehicles.
     - The National Park Service has not made a determination regarding e-bikes.
     - Under the TMR, e-bikes may be ridden where motor vehicles are allowed, including on National Forest System (NFS) roads open to all vehicles; NFS trails open to all vehicles; NFS trails open to vehicles 50 inches or less; NFS trails open to motorcycles only; and NFS trails open to e-bikes as a special designation.
     - The Forest Service will use the information obtained from monitoring to reassess and, if needed, adjust guidance for designating the use of e-bikes on NFS roads and NFS trails.

Background
    E-bikes have been available for years overseas and were first used by commuters on roadways in Europe. There are two basic types of e-bikes, pedal-assist and throttle-twist. On pedal-assist e-bikes, the motor does not have to be on the entire time the bicycle is being ridden and can be activated by pedaling to augment human power. Throttle-twist e-bikes are activated by twisting the handle grip to propel the bike with or without pedaling. In addition to a motor, e-bikes have a battery and a controller to operate specific options.

Contacts:
    Penny Wu, Travel Management Program Manager, pwu@fs.fed.us; Jaime Schmidt, Trails Program Manager, jtschmidt@fs.fed.us; Janet Zeller, Accessibility Program Manager, jzeller@fs.fed.us.

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,157
    Given: 172
    Classifieds
    the thought and image of riding anywhere with a full pack, rifle/bow, and other gear draped over my shoulders and I find that hidden badger hole with the front tire. Flying ass over tea kettle with all that gear strapped on just takes the wonderment right out of the whole bike thing.
    Your fears while well-founded, have left out an exponentially more likely danger. That'd be, someone (ahem) @ the bullhead tourney or sausage party riding naked into the campfire.

1 Not allowed!
    When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 43
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    I haven't followed it that closely, so could be off, but it seemed like the use of them on federal land restricting motorized vehicles was a grey area that came down to interpretation of the current laws. Seemed some interpreted the "pedal assist" variety would be accepted while the throttle type would not.

With the briefing above it seems to give the interpretation from the top down. However I think there are some states that have declared them NOT motorized vehicles. I guess its clear as mud

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by pluckem; 01-31-2019 at 10:25 AM.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,452
    Given: 3,238
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinny View Post
    I know very little in the way of info on this KDM but a buddy in MT has backed a cow elk with them and swears by them so again don't know specifics of his trail/situation other than he uses it quite often and like it so must be some advantages to them
    Didn't say there aren't advantages to these bikes. I just said a clutz like me has a better than average chance of face planting myself whilst driving the barrel of my rifle stock deep in the dirt or smashing my bow to smitherines. Your buddy obviously has better balance, powers of vision, and luck than I do.

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #12
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,318
    Given: 2,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    From a memo dated March, 2016

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  51.5 KB

Stick to the motorcycle trails you filthy e-biker

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #13
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,612
    Given: 366
    Can we use our E-bikes on the Maah Daah Hey Trail System?

No. E-bikes use electric motors. Motors whether they are operated by electricity or gasoline are prohibited on the trail. E-bikes can be operated on designated roads as other vehicles. The MDHT has been designated a non-motorized trail since its inception. See the USFS letter on E-bikes and motorized use on the MDHT.

0 Not allowed!
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

14. Back To Top    #14
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 0
    Classifieds

0 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #15
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 336
    Given: 266
    Classifieds
    I have a friend that bought one this fall and uses it coyote hunting. parks a mile from where he want to hunt the ebikes to his stand he did install studded tires. says its slick. hub motors are going to make e bikes more popular.

0 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #16
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 644
    Given: 547
    Classifieds
    Didn't say there aren't advantages to these bikes. I just said a clutz like me has a better than average chance of face planting myself whilst driving the barrel of my rifle stock deep in the dirt or smashing my bow to smitherines. Your buddy obviously has better balance, powers of vision, and luck than I do.
    im not sure I can help you with the poor vision, balance and luck but a good ole eberlestock pack might save that rifle from a bit of abuse if you were to crash. haha I knew they were a "gray" are but have never really considered it either.

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #17
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 95
    If your going to spend that kind of money I would rather spend some more and get one of these.

https://www.dtvmotorcorp.com/product-category/products/

0 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #18
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,612
    Given: 366

0 Not allowed!
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

19. Back To Top    #19

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 8
    [QUOTE=drayweb;235532]Was thinking about getting one for bowhunting in the badlands or for riding the Maah Daah Hey trail or just riding to work in the summertime. I know they have restrictions about motorized vehicles on the trail, but I don't think this would affect that would it? Would a fat tire bike be better or should I just get a regular mountain bike? Here are a couple that I found on the internet.

I ride a Trek Powerfly FS 7 and really like it. It's like non-assisted mountain biking but better. Yeah, the Maah Daah Hey Trail is off limits--for now--but that will change once everyone realizes how much fun e-bikes are. They have a motor but from a practical standpoint they are more like regular bikes than motorbikes and it's only a matter of time before trails open up to them.

0 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,572
    Given: 2,775
    Seems like a slick rig...

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast