Tying Your Own Spinner Rigs

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning on starting tying my own spinner rigs so I can completely customize my presentation. I'm wondering what you guys have found to be the cheapest way to source beads, quick change clevises, and blades (colorado, smile, or otherwise). I do not plan on skimping on line or hooks but would like to hear what you guys prefer.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer whatever DH Custom Baits slaps on some legendary tackle spinners. Who cares about the benjamins. Spinner kits are cheap as hell. Either buy customs or learn to paint.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a craft store and buy the beads usually cheaper that what you get them anywhere else

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most my beads and blades off eBay. Often times hooks as well. Did find some beads at hobby lobby last week. Clevis’s off eBay too

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Dakota Tackle. Wade has a great selection of spinner components.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tied a few thousand in my day.
Craft store beads are ok if they are colored plastic, but some of them are just painted, especially silver and gold, and won't hold up in the water.
As you said, don't skimp on the hooks. Either get Gamakatsu octopus hooks, or go be poor somewhere else.
I like to tie mine with a pretty stout floro, like 12#. My main line is 10# Fireline, but in snags, that 12# floro will still break first, saving me my bottom bouncer.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as line goes it depends on your trolling speed if you wanna say troll in that 1.1-1.3mph or faster as many do today you prolly wanna bulk up to 20lb mono leaders or you will have twists and tangles constantly in your line. if your fine with the older school thought were slower is better (.4mph-.8mph) feed the line to trigger bites theory then 8lb should be fine.

i would 2nd wade at dakota tackle had great selection. my sons and i just slowly built our spinner tying kits up and over time you finally get about everything you need...until they come out with something new.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve never had a leader twist up. Probably due to the swivel built into the snap of the bottom bouncers I use. Which you have to have if your pulling slow death hooks etc. I will not buy pre made rigs because they use way too big of line. You donate the damn bottom bouncer too if you snag up unless your running an insanely large line on the rod. For twenty plus years I’ve tied my own. 8lb mono on the spinner/rig. 10lb line of whatever type on the reel. I’ve caught ten fish 29” plus on this setup so it is plenty strong. And numerous northers in excess of 12 lbs. so strength is def not an issue. I like to use Berkeley trileneXT for the rigs. It holds up better to rocks etc.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you guys fans of fluorocarbon or mono??!! Fluorocarbon sinks and is very touchy with "heat" friction when it comes to tying your knots! Make sure she's moist when you cinch the fluoro down!

I started tying a few with 10# mono again. We'll see how those turn out. Mono has always twisted so bad on me in the past

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you guys fans of fluorocarbon or mono??!! Fluorocarbon sinks and is very touchy with "heat" friction when it comes to tying your knots! Make sure she's moist when you cinch the fluoro down!

I started tying a few with 10# mono again. We'll see how those turn out. Mono has always twisted so bad on me in the past
Make sure you use quality ball bearing swivels and not the cheap ones. I use the Scheels brand ones that don’t break the bank. Also use 12# mono for the rigs and 10# power pro and don’t break my bouncers off.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the most expensive hooks, blades, line, swivels, and beads you can find. They look great when snagged up on the bottom of the lake. :;:huh. Keep things simple and figure out what you need to do to trigger the fish bite. The ol cheap, plain, bait saver hooks have caught many a fish over the decades. With or without a cheap bead, blade or now the popular props.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Planning on starting tying my own spinner rigs so I can completely customize my presentation. I'm wondering what you guys have found to be the cheapest way to source beads, quick change clevises, and blades (colorado, smile, or otherwise). I do not plan on skimping on line or hooks but would like to hear what you guys prefer.

Hagen’s is a good place to get bulk fishing components at bulk prices. https://www.hagensfish.com/ I would go to Dakota Tackle instead if I had that store nearby.

Variety blade packs from Cabelas are the cheapest way to get a wide variety of blades https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-100-piece-indiana-blade-assortment?rrec=true
. I also check their clearance as that can be good prices too on fancier blades. Scheels spinners blades are also not too bad especially if you find them in the bargain bin!

The cheapest place for smile blades is from their website. Great deals on there and they have the big sizes too.

Cheapest place for quick change clevises I found was on eBay. Cabelas beads are a good price for their assortment https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-pearl-bead-walleye-assortment

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer whatever DH Custom Baits slaps on some legendary tackle spinners. Who cares about the benjamins. Spinner kits are cheap as hell. Either buy customs or learn to paint.

This guy gets it!

Also, I use dakota tackle for all my components as well. If I buy bulk, I usually end up loosing that tray or worse, dropping my box of beads onto the pavement and then watching them disperse like someone yelled "bomb."

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lurepartsonline. com is where I get my parts, huge selection of stuff.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

we tie eveyrthing with 10# mono XT,.the 10# seems to handle fast trolling well but Jason mitchell recommends 20# from reading his many articles
like eye says use a swivel with any slow death which is 99.9% of what we tie.
macks smile blades, and northland butterfly blades mainly.

- - - Updated - - -

nothing like watching your kids reel in fish from something they helped tie/create with never ending choices of beads and blades.

the oldest wants to start doing crank baits hahah might need to enlist DH to custom paint some for us.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I at one time tied a lot of spinners, and still have lots of components (somewhere). Mostly I got into it to save money back when it was a little more scarce, then kind of enjoyed the making my own custom stuff. Nowadays, my near vision makes threading beads a pain, so I just don't do it any longer.

The spinner brand I miss the most are the old Wa-Pa spinners from Home of Economy, even though they used crappy line. They had some metallic blades with colored reflective stripes that really produced well on DL for us. While it's been quite a few years, I tried to reproduce those Wa-Pa spinners with available stickers and blades with poor success, the tape just didn't like to stay in place.

Nowadays, I have a tendency to buy spinners in bulk as they go on sale. I often change out the hooks though to get something I like better, especially in late summer when I'm wanting to pull half a crawler.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The spinner brand I miss the most are the old Wa-Pa spinners from Home of Economy.

They are still making those, not sure where all they sell them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75