Planer Boards

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planer boards for walleyes. Whats the go to, best easy to use boards.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only ones to use are the offshore boards. I’ve used them all

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s exactly how I’ve always ran boards. I’ve often times ran six lines, two boards out each side and two right behind the boat. And as H8 mentioned having the cranks running deeper away from shore keeps things from tangling up. It’s amazing how well it works once you figure it out. It’s learning curve

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Planer boards for walleyes. Whats the go to, best easy to use boards.
How many lines you want to run?

I only run up to 4 without boards because they are a pain in my opinion. I run short rods out the back and long rods out the side with deeper diving cranks on one set.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many lines you want to run?

I only run up to 4 without boards because they are a pain in my opinion. I run short rods out the back and long rods out the side with deeper diving cranks on one set.
I’m planning to get set up for this too because it’s hard to run boards when your around other boats.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only run boards when in a tournament. I used to run one in the bathtub when I had another guy in the boat. That way we could run 3 rods. It just takes a little teamwork and they're not that big a pain. Unless you're in a snaggy area. Last year our big fish in the tournament came on the inside planer board. 26-inch walleye pulled that planer board right under the water. It actually pulled the line right out of the board which was good cuz my buddy had another one on at that same time. That double put us from the middle of the field to top five just like that.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had quite a few pull boards under. About 20 years ago I caught 6 29” eyes over the course of three weekends. Two each weekend. All on boards in 30-35’ of water.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new boards from Cabelas are actually legit! I am about to sell my offshore boards I like them so much.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the Church Boards handle heavier applications better than the Offshore's. But the Offshore boards do a better job with lighter applications and big waves/wind. I have heard too that the Cabelas boards are good.

All my board tactics have been off the bottom, but this weekend I may have a pile of people with me so I may pull some BB/Spinner setups to see how that goes compared to inline and snap weights.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could use a couple really heavy action rods for running boards and dipsey divers. Anyone know of some good options?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabelas Depthmasters. $30 usually if you catch the sale. I have 4 of the planer board rods and 2 dipsey rods and they are perfect.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second the depthmasters. I ran them on Lake Erie for years. Upgrade the line snaps to the adjustable ones for the off shore boards for non mono applications. Have run snap weights and jet 20's behind off shore boards.. Also have run three ways with reef runners and small spoons. Caught a walleye and a steelhead on the same line once Heart was pounding thinking I had a trophy on the line. Thankfully both were not large fish and both tasted great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74