Sakakawea Fall Salmon Fishing

Walleyeguy11

Would like to see if I could get a few salmon in the boat this fall. I do not have down riggers so I’m wondering if anyone has any tips on the best approach to catching some?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would like to see if I could get a few salmon in the boat this fall. I do not have down riggers so I’m wondering if anyone has any tips on the best approach to catching some?

Hire a guide for the day. Heard leadcore will get em in the fall too so there's that approach.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magnum Dipsy divers should get you down to 60' with 100+ feet of line out. We use them in combo with downrigging and have a fair number of hook-ups with them.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the fall you shouldn’t need down riggers or dipsys. Just troll cranks along shore along the face of the damn, government bay, Scoria bay, Rodeo. Bright colors. If you find one that works switch them all over. They are probably the pickiest fish I have ever seen. There can be thirty boats out there and one guy catching fish simply cause he found the right action and color. They can be frustrating to no end

- - - Updated - - -

You can use them if you want. I’m just saying you don’t need them

Aucker33

Established Member
Leadcore with snap weights. Pull bright cranks. Worked last year caught 3.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cast or troll spoons & cranks 0-20ft down in government bay, the spillway bay, and scoria bay after labor day weekend.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caought them just trolling reef runners in fall in areas MSA stated
Cast or troll spoons & cranks 0-20ft down in government bay, the spillway bay, and scoria bay after labor day weekend.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snooty colored big shallow shad raps, casting in the bays.

snooty.jpg

It always works, some of the times.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long into the fall do they still taste good? I've had some that were caught in October and no thanks.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long into the fall do they still taste good? I've had some that were caught in October and no thanks.

Once they start turning dark, the taste declines - although one of my buddies says "they taste like shit anyhow".

They sure are fun to catch though.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once they start turning dark, the taste declines - although one of my buddies says "they taste like shit anyhow".

They sure are fun to catch though.

Yes yes. Understood. But is there a date on the calendar when you can expect them to start turning dark and tasting like sh#$?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
They taste like shit no matter what time if the year you get them.

I would have to disagree with you but I have never eaten a fresh water Chinook (King) salmon. I fished for and caught Pacific Ocean salmon off Northern California (San Francisco to Monterey) from the early 80's to around 2015 and I never had a bad salmon. I would grill them and smoke them. Our hay-day was from 1988 thru 2004. We would catch a 2 fish limit every time we went out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salmon are oily compared to walleye. I don't particularly like a meal of salmon, but if I'm at a wild game feed and there's a 3x3 inch square chunk of salmon, I am there for you.

Most of the salmon I catch I end up giving away.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes yes. Understood. But is there a date on the calendar when you can expect them to start turning dark and tasting like sh#$?

Probably late september would be a good mark on your calendar. If you get out and catch them in early Sept, they are still "normal".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75