Getting the kid out shore fishing

Hunter19kilo

My 8 year old has been on me all summer to go fishing. We have tried a few spots on the river and have only caught snags. I want to get him on fish and get him excited. I know it is late in the year but any help would be appreciated. Don't need a 10 digit grid zone just an area.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Catching walleyes from shore this time of year is probably going to be slow going the majority of the time. Maybe look into McDowell dam or Crown Butte, I'd imagine he could stay busy with panfish there.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 8 year old has been on me all summer to go fishing. We have tried a few spots on the river and have only caught snags. I want to get him on fish and get him excited. I know it is late in the year but any help would be appreciated. Don't need a 10 digit grid zone just an area.
Shore fishing on Sakakawea can be really good. I also like fishing off docks if it is allowed and not busy.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1) Find a point which provides convenience and appropriate access

2) Research "Carolina Rig"

3) Research and obtain a "worm blower"

4) Know the Palomar and Trilene knot (dependent upon braid or mono)

5) Wing this shit "out there", allow to hit bottom, reel up slack, prop up rod; adjust line belly. (If no wind/current, I open bail after everything is settled. In the tailrace, don't throw out more than 30 ft and lock the bail. What's good is one can use a heavy assed bbl or no-roll sinker; allowing for distant casts and less distance as light fades. The only felt resistance is the hook, line and bbl swivel.

This is effective for everything on the planet from shore with logical modification. Don't employ a leader too long as to make your cast a whirling clown show. This works; have patience.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79