mini splits...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
am finishing a 720 sf bonus space above a heated garage and wondering about 1... will all be insulated and finished... looking at heat and ac... 3 rooms...

any knowledge???

thanks...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Little confused by your questions. My thoughts are "Why wouldn't you insulate, heat and have AC if it's going to be finished?" Assuming you have AC in the rest of the house. Usually easier to do that while finishing the rest of the space. Is the space going to be bedroom type area, rec room, any cooking or kitchen area such as an apartment?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mini splits are the shit. That’s what I’m going to do with my 1200 sq ft above my garage/shop.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that most ductless systems struggle on really cold days. I would recommend a secondary heat source. Great units for cooling. Very efficient and quiet

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little confused by your questions. My thoughts are "Why wouldn't you insulate, heat and have AC if it's going to be finished?" Assuming you have AC in the rest of the house. Usually easier to do that while finishing the rest of the space. Is the space going to be bedroom type area, rec room, any cooking or kitchen area such as an apartment?

It will all be finished... just wondering about the mini splits compared to regular forced air or electric baseboards and portable ac units...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would run baseboard heat and mini split for air.

- - - Updated - - -

I would run baseboard heat and mini split for air.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that most ductless systems struggle on really cold days. I would recommend a secondary heat source. Great units for cooling. Very efficient and quiet

thanks... with a 65 to 70 degree floor and walls and ceiling insulated, do you think the mini's would keep up in the winter???

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most mini split type units don't run below 0. So for most part they do fine but them real cold days you need a backup source of heat

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now I get what a mini split is ( I think) I was thinking it was a portable air conditioner. Is it an air to air heat pump ?

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at the price and thought that's pricey for air-con but if that's an air con with reverse you can't go wrong at that price.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd plan on another source of heat they do work but, if it's colder than 30 degrees ours runs non-stop and your compressor outside will turn into a ice cube. cooling wise they work great, we have one outside compressor unit that runs a head in our kitchen and one in our bedroom, you can hang meat in here if you wanted to. make sure it has a "self-clean" feature. with 2 window ac our total light bill this time of year used to be about 90 -100$ now its about $65.... i think it costs about $20 a month to keep it real nice in the house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75