1. Back To Top    #1
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 45

Duramax help

Need some help. A few days ago my 13’ duramax dropped a service emission code and was counting down to limp. Dealer wants $1100 for nox sensor. Today I let it run for an hour and the message cleared. Few hours later I started it again and emision message was back. Let run for an hour and it cleared again. Not sure what to think. Im a relatively new diesel owner so any help is appreciated.
    I tow tandem a lot debating on just getting it tuned as well.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 432
    Classifieds
    Had a problem like that on mine and it ended up being an injector wiring harness. All the stealerships told me it was injectors, fuel rail, sensors etc etc and needing big $. Took it to the local repair shop and he knew exactly what the issue was and total bill was under $500. He said the harnesses really acts up as the weather gets cold. It's worth asking about anyway

2 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Ultimate VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,749
    Given: 2,001
    Most parts stores will run a code reader for free. Just an idea.

3 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 88
    If it was me and I didn't need it for towing rite now I would continue to drive it around town and only in town and see what happens, maybe the light goes out and stays that way or it comes on and you have to limp it home. Either way you have some time to figure out what's going on before cabin fever season is over. Depending on how many miles are on it now and how long you want to keep the truck I'd get it deleted if your goin to keep for awhile, the sooner the better.... as far as delete options and programs I'd go with "Efi live " for your year of truck for programmer with the dsp5 switch. Really you have allot of options to choose from though. At least yours will be cheap to delete. My 19 duramax will cost me rite now around 7 grand to delete if I did it. And I would go with calibrated power tunes for ECM and TCM . He has allot of you tube videos that are full of really good info and he knows his stuff.... I'd recommend mbrp exhaust cause I've ran ther exhaust before on my old diesel and never had a problem with it.... good luck, do some research, and keep me posted

2 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Thanks Velva! I talked to a Protech in minot Friday he’s going to send me some options for a delete/turner/exhaust.. EFI live seems to be a popular programmer my buddy recommended the same. Might be the best option I’ve gone through 2 DEF heaters and now this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LBrandt View Post
    Most parts stores will run a code reader for free. Just an idea.
    The dealer ran it for me said NOX sensor. I’m just surprised it sets and clears.
    Thought I still had warranty remaining otherwise would have skipped dealer.

0 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,681
    Given: 2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Oley55 View Post
    Thanks Velva! I talked to a Protech in minot Friday he’s going to send me some options for a delete/turner/exhaust.. EFI live seems to be a popular programmer my buddy recommended the same. Might be the best option I’ve gone through 2 DEF heaters and now this.

- - - Updated - - -

The dealer ran it for me said NOX sensor. I’m just surprised it sets and clears.
    Thought I still had warranty remaining otherwise would have skipped dealer.
    the wire to the sensor is probably bad. could be rubbing on and off on something. you could change it in ten minutes I'd guess. Probably get online and start looking for one.

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 418
    Thing is with nox sensors is the exhaust temp has to typically get above 300 degrees and the doser pump has to turn on before they start giving a reading. If it's really cold and the def in the tank and lines aren't thawed you will have a fault for high nox output. Extended idle in this condition doesn't help the problem either. You have an inlet nox sensor which is post turbo before the doc and outlet nox sensor which is after the scr catalyst. With the absence of def being dosed into the scr catalyst it won't see a reduction in nox and turn on the light. A poor grade of def can also cause the same issue. Nox sensors are a smart sensor and are very expensive, if the sensor module fails the engine ecm will recognize this and it is very cut and dry what the failure is at that point. If the fault has to do with a nox reading it is most likely related to the scr system not functioning correctly. As I said with the cold temps we have been having it wouldn't surprise me if you have a frozen line or tank. If you can park it inside a heated garage overnight that would eliminate that as a possible issue.

2 Not allowed!
    NPAA#176

8. Back To Top    #8
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Thanks for the help all. I Skipped the repair and let it warm up to above 0 and no more emision warning.

1 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 1,467
    Classifieds
    Exhaust/delete kit, efi live = probably one of the best trucks ever built and I'm a Ford guy. I don't know of anyone that didn't have problems with the emissions stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    Every year has two seasons hunting season and fishing season

10. Back To Top    #10
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 82
    EFI Live is one of the best and Rizzo nailed it. These types of temps and DEF don't mix and driving it around town isn't the answer. These things were meant to pull. The harder you work it, the cleaner the EGR, DPF, and turbo will stay...

0 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 367
    Given: 340
    EFI live and dps5 switch is the ticket. I did egr and dpf delete with turbo back 4 inch straight pipe. Once you install efi live you have no safety parameters in your engine. I use an edge insight cts2 to monitor my engine. Boost and egt’s can Be your worst enemy if you dont use your head and monitor them. I can hit 1200 degrees in a few seconds if I’m not careful. My fuel mileage increased and the power increase is substantially noticeable. I pull on setting one and daily drive on setting 3 seems to work the best for my LMM.

0 Not allowed!