New Vexilar

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing that really stands out is that Vexilar says this machine is designed to work specially with the pro view ice ducer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vexilar lost my admiration with their POSView transducer on my last purchase. Huge disappointment.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For fuck's fucking sake! $789 plus tax?

My 20-some year old FL-8 is looking like a great investment as it still sees fish!

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vexilar just doesn't have it. Marcum and Humminbird have changed the game.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed ^^ my FL18 does what I need, no fish worth $2500 using "live scope" but it is cool to use

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed ^^ my FL18 does what I need, no fish worth $2500 using "live scope" but it is cool to use

I disagree. Livescope gives you so much more information. You can even tell when a pike comes in so you can decide if you want to catch it or reel up and avoid the slime.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I disagree. Livescope gives you so much more information. You can even tell when a pike comes in so you can decide if you want to catch it or reel up and avoid the slime.

Agreed capt,but I'm not onboard spending $2500 to catch a fish for fun or dinner,besides when a pike comes in wilst fishing walleyes they come in high and the smaller ones usually dart in and out.but thats me,I used live scope last winter,very cool,I can see it as a useful tool for open water searching,but heck ice fishing walleyes or panfish on my goto lakes.I'll setup on a spot(area) pop a dozen holes and get after it hole hoping which amuzes me and catch whatever I'm after plus I don't like the bulk associated packing live scope around,travel lite.small buddy heater,one lb cylinder for heat or lantern we're all good,small flip over so moves are easy and quick

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like most things in life...comes down to personal choice. Some folks ice fish more than open water fish...so to spend $900 or more on a flasher or ice electronics is well worth it. Just like some folks will spend $3,000 on a Solix 12 for their boat. And I guess there are some that will buy both! Me personally, I ice fish from Nov to Mar just to scratch that itch...much prefer open water. So last year when I bought a new Vex FL-18 with the zoom function...having used an older FL-8 for 3 years previously...I felt like a kid in a candy store!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
same here finfan,bet my 1st fl8 was 25yrs old,caught bukoo walleyes once you figured out the little red wiggle line moving tight to the bottom was a fish with a 2.75 target seperation it was game on,so up grading to the 18 with .75 target seperation (zoom)made it a game changer.

now I'm told the 20 and up have a 12' zoom and easier on the eyes.,for walleyes the 6' zoom is plenty on the 18 tho...my .02.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Agree completely snow. I know my buddies that have the FL-28 would never go back to an 18 or 20. Guess it's kinda like our boat graphs...my first boat...old bass boat...had an old Hummingbird that only show'd depth and fish marks...no map/contours...no water temp...no speed..no downscan...no sidescan. I can't imagine fishing "blind" like that now. My uncle that taught me what fishing out of a boat was like would laugh at us today!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You got to hand to Vexilar, they're repackaging 1960s technology in 2020.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73