What’s going on at Ft Peck?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cisco vs Smelt, and i just don't think Peck sees the consistent fishing pressure Sak does because its harder to access.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cisco vs Smelt, and i just don't think Peck sees the consistent fishing pressure Sak does because its harder to access.

I believe it has much more to do with the second part of this statement than the first part, but I completely agree.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brothers friends uncle told me the game and fish is netting all of the 30 inch walleyes out of sak and taking them to Fort Peck.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some dandy fish caught, but what is there conversion chart, length vs weight -- just curious?

Eyelife

A lot of big walleyes in the system right now. A lot of those tourney fish are caught on jiggin raps, deeper than 25-30’. Salmon are starting up if that’s your thing, it’s not mine. Call Lakeridge motel and talk to Eddie Mindt.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of big walleyes in the system right now. A lot of those tourney fish are caught on jiggin raps, deeper than 25-30’. Salmon are starting up if that’s your thing, it’s not mine. Call Lakeridge motel and talk to Eddie Mindt.

I wasn't doing well on cranks this weekend as I couldn't get deeper than 26' (don't have lead core), so I did some jigging raps off of a point and got a FAT 25" walleye weighing just over 6lbs at FORTY-SEVEN feet depth. No air bags popped, either, so it was a measure & photo and back into the water.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Same Up...pulled cranks at 2.5mph using #11 flickers...that will tickle 25fow. Was marking fish tho in 25 to 35 fow where I was at. Stopped trolling, pulled out a jigging rod...put on a 5inch smelt looking plastic...caught 2 fish within 10 mins. They are pretty deep right now, but kinda think the weather that came thru Thu/Fri also pushed them a little deeper than usual.

Trolldeep

I’m no biologist... I thought I read that Cisco provide a higher nutritional value vs smelt.
I also thought this is why Peck has better salmon then Sak.
I don’t understand how Peck has Lake Trout and Sak doesn’t. Is it the Cisco or that Peck has cooler temps ?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The combined teams caught and released 56 fish that were over 30 inches in length over the two days!
����

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I'd agree it is somewhat cyclical, Peck has a long reputation of kicking out big fish. Back in the days of the PWT that is where the biggest weights came from until Erie really turned on. They were running from Ft. Peck wayyyy west, could barely make it to Hell Creek for fuel each tournament day. And catching really, really big fish. I don't think you can discount the remoteness, you are a long ways from real population centers. Add in limited/crappy access (anyone ever drive the 26 miles into Hell Creek, or worse Bone Trail?) certainly limits fisherman too. Add in a fair amount of good food with the cisco and the stars align really well. Been some impressive weights for sure!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the hell don’t they improved that road to hell creek? Is it on the Rez or something?

26 miles of rough country, lots of steep hills that just get terribly washboarded. And a county that is sparse and not really too interested in the upkeep it seems. Nor is the state, the whole debacle of Hell Creek, the marine there, permits, etc. has been a big mess. Just don't seem to see it as value. The roads on the north side are barely what I would call improved either, one thunderstorm and you better camp out for a few days! Remote to say the least!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the road in, is half as bad as I'm reading. And if the fishing is half as good as I'm reading.

Well, I would guess they're not fixing the road, on purpose.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
26 miles of rough country, lots of steep hills that just get terribly washboarded. And a county that is sparse and not really too interested in the upkeep it seems. Nor is the state, the whole debacle of Hell Creek, the marine there, permits, etc. has been a big mess. Just don't seem to see it as value. The roads on the north side are barely what I would call improved either, one thunderstorm and you better camp out for a few days! Remote to say the least!

And the road into Crooked Creek is twice as long, and even more remote.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never been on a worse washboarded road than that going into crooked. There's good reason you duct tape your lights on your trailer before you start down it!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't been to Ft.Peck but did visit with a rancher west of Billings about their roads. Calling them gravel was a bit over an overstatement. He told me that gravel was so expensive because of the trucking. The nearest pit from him was over 50 miles away. It was just something they dealt with because of the cost. Contrary to some common liberal thinking, someone had to pay for that gravel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75