Pics Airplane Project Update: 95% complete

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's some updated photos of the old man's 1966 PA-18 Supercub. He's about 1300 hours into it, give or take a few. Really turned out nice. We trailered it, very carefully, to the airport and then transported wings out later that day. Once we got dad's cub to the airport, we picked up our PA-14 project and transported that back to mom and dad's shop, where we started taking old fabric off within the hour. The 14 project looks to be in rather excellent shape, as far as tubing is concerned for a 1949. A few friends came out Sunday and we got the wings on and in place. Probably another couple weeks of misc. work here and there, but another 8-10 hours and should be about complete and ready for flying. We have not buffed it yet, so it'll really shine once we do that. After 45+ years in aviation, dad finally has his dream airplane done, and he built it all on his own. It's pretty damn awesome/emotional seeing a parent cross one of the final things off their bucket list at 64 years young. Enjoy.

Cub trailer.jpg
side cub.jpg
dad and cub.jpg
14 trailer.jpg
14 side.jpg
14 side fabric off.jpg
14 fabric off back to front.jpg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats and beautiful job. Dad used to have many stories of their Super Cub that he used to have.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I suppose a plane, unlike maybe a small boat or even a car, isn't something you'd want to "test out" before it's 100 percent complete ;)

Then again, the old man already has 1,400 hours into it, what's a dozen more??

Nice work and dedication. Hope the maiden voyage is sa-weeeeet.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I suppose a plane, unlike maybe a small boat or even a car, isn't something you'd want to "test out" before it's 100 percent complete ;)

Then again, the old man already has 1,400 hours into it, what's a dozen more??

Nice work and dedication. Hope the maiden voyage is sa-weeeeet.

LOL. Yes, there is a longgg checklist top to bottom, and every single item will be top notch and perfect before any test flights.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Awesome. All new fabric?

Yes sir. 100%

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
you an IA?

Negative. Dad has been an A and P for 45+ years. Let his IA cert expire years ago when the coal plants came along. There’s a few local friends of his that are IA’s willing to do final signatures for him though, which is always nice. I think if he builds a new hanger in the next few years he will get the recertification as he will have a base of operation again. He does some 100 hrs here and there though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Negative. Dad has been an A and P for 45+ years. Let his IA cert expire years ago when the coal plants came along. There’s a few local friends of his that are IA’s willing to do final signatures for him though, which is always nice. I think if he builds a new hanger in the next few years he will get the recertification as he will have a base of operation again. He does some 100 hrs here and there though.
awesome

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazing, Kudos to your father. I helped a freind with his kit plane. It is a serious undertaking only true dedication will see to fruition. I hope he gets to enjoy it for many years to come.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you and Spartacus going to drop lunch pails and cereal boxes on dissidents? Seems a Super would hold more payload than a Piper.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad loved general aviation, and would have been very interested in this project. He's been gone just over a year now.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks awesome. Have fun with the first flight
i am curios. What kind of fabric is on these planes. I have been a passenger in one years age but never new what the fabric was

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62