More of ND's public land at stake

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to bring one more piece of politics to the party but this one directly affects ND outdoorsmen. The ND dept. of trust lands has given "Notice of Intent to Adopt and Amend Administrative Rules August 26th, 2020". In essence, the new rules are to make selling state trust lands easier. We once had 2.6 million acres, and are now down to 706k. ND is the 19th largest state sq. mile wise, and we are down to 34th as far as public acreage (just 9%, hell MN is 23.5% public). We need to keep what few we have left. Trust lands are not only valuable to outdoorsmen, they are crucial to the farmer/ranchers who rent them. Please voice your opinion to dtlrequest@nd.gov to let them know you don't support the sale of a single acre.

If the state is that bad at managing money, let them know there's a better solution than selling something that belongs to all of us; especially something we'll never get back.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BFD91A8D-5007-44AE-84FD-274033F8E232.jpeg

gst and fritz upon learning about this

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So who is pushing to get this through? Legislators? The same ones that tried to privatize Corps land on the Missouri last session? 2315 supporters?

Names need to be publicized before voting starts.

KCP

What has happened with the previously reported 34 oil and gas companies behind on royalty payments to the land trust? Land purchase part of settlement?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right after one of the biggest oil booms in history, and time of record royalty collections. They want to sell land. It makes no sense other than total mismanagement. And yes, it may not be the trust. It might be the legislature. But we should find out before we get the pitch forks out.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like initiated measure time to prevent any future sales of trust lands

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like initiated measure time to prevent any future sales of trust lands

It would fly like an eagle .

- - - Updated - - -

Insert an "Open more for public use" clause
and It will fly even better.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of what others think about my opinion of private land and trespassing regulations and laws , I have zero problem paying taxes for public hunting land that I will never hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Work with NDGF and make it easy for me to donate $ xxx of my state tax refund towards more North Dakota primitive and unimproved land use.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Super disappointing.... :(

- - - Updated - - -

This, right here, is what pisses me off about the Republican party in ND. They support this shit.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe North Dakota is at a tipping point that will firmly go one way or another after this fall. With the Canadian border closed, the state wildlife biologist already admitted there's been a large influx in NR waterfowl licenses purchased. There will be more hunters in our state than ever before. There will be more pressure relative to other years. Landowners are going to see more people afield, and are going to be getting more phone calls.

There's really only one way to stop this, and it flies in the face of all the recent attempted law changes: Create more opportunities for open access in the state.

Locking things up and taking away already decreased opportunities even further will only increase the knocks on the door and phone calls that farmers gripe about as it is.

Unless the state were to somehow create a cap on NR licenses similar to SD, this problem isn't going away any time soon.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.land.nd.gov/

What is underlined is new language.
Under definitions there are a few changes added.
Under exchange administrative rules a section was added where-by the Land Trust can exchange land but six criteria must be met.
Under land sales three chapters were added. Sportsmen can read it and make their own conclusions.
And the last one is about oil and gas well offsets.

The public meeting is at the Capital, Fort Totten Room, August 26th, 10:00am.

I won't be there. No comment.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe North Dakota is at a tipping point that will firmly go one way or another after this fall. With the Canadian border closed, the state wildlife biologist already admitted there's been a large influx in NR waterfowl licenses purchased. There will be more hunters in our state than ever before. There will be more pressure relative to other years. Landowners are going to see more people afield, and are going to be getting more phone calls.

There's really only one way to stop this, and it flies in the face of all the recent attempted law changes: Create more opportunities for open access in the state.

Locking things up and taking away already decreased opportunities even further will only increase the knocks on the door and phone calls that farmers gripe about as it is.

Unless the state were to somehow create a cap on NR licenses similar to SD, this problem isn't going away any time soon.

that cap is the best thing we have done in years. Helps manage the waterfowl and make it a better experience for residents and non residents alike.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
that cap is the best thing we have done in years. Helps manage the waterfowl and make it a better experience for residents and non residents alike.

Kurt, what is the cap # in SD?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.land.nd.gov/

Under exchange administrative rules a section was added where-by the Land Trust can exchange land but six criteria must be met.
Under land sales three chapters were added. Sportsmen can read it and make their own conclusions.

Actually, it says: "Land exchanges are notrequired to satisfy all six criteria outlined below"

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a cap is one of the only legitimate solutions as well. And make up the revenue by raising prices. Like MT did with big game, to protect the quality of the experience. Or we keep whoring ourselves out and see where that gets us.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ill bet Farm Bureau has its finger on the scales.
Without a doubt! It’s in their platform that they want all public land sold to private entities. I can’t stand Daryl Lies on KFYR 550 and this issue coming up may only lead to more of his annoying voice....

- - - Updated - - -

Super disappointing.... :(

- - - Updated - - -

This, right here, is what pisses me off about the Republican party in ND. They support this shit.
Funny how some Republicans cherish and protect public lands and how some just want them all sold. Heck the governor in WY just tried to buy millions of acres which would be the biggest public land buy in generations but unfortunately got out bid. The only opposition to the land buy was because of budget shortfalls although this would have been paid for and generate money for state investment funds. ND is LAME when it comes to supporting hunters!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74