Leveling backseat for dog kennel

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time I don't kennel the dog, when I do kennel him, the kennel most often rides in the back-seat. There's ~3" of drop over the 20" seat depth that I'd like to level. Preferably I'd rather not build what would amount to a large/heavy wooden ramp.

Go.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
a strip of the 4 or 5 inch thick (kennel weight should level it out) firm foam they sell at hardware stores? macs has em in the 4 X 8 sheets and will cut any size you want.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Cut a piece of foam rubber or closed cell foam in the shape of a wedge the size you need might work.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a suggestion as you might not want a dedicated dog space in the back seat. My dogs are always with me so I folded up the seats & covered them with plywood. Then cut galvanized mesh and hooped it over and down the back of the front seats. Clipped other wire mesh for the ends to cover just the seat belts. Works great.

07-P1110631-X3.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
on the foam thing... i guess a chunk of pipe insulation or one of those kids floaties would work too. and be a lot cheaper. or just buy a topper.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or just put the kennel in the box. Spoiled dogs.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
To answer your question I'd cut a piece of wood or as someone else suggested hard foam to put along the back rest to level the kennel. A couple folded towels might even work.

I have a crew cab. I built a folding platform that lays across the rear floor with the back seat folded up. It's carpeted and keeps a wet muddy dog off the seat. Still allows access under it and can be folded up and removed when not needed. Seat can also be folded down with it in place. It's also easier for a dog to jump in and out from that then the seat. I'll have to take a pic of it some time.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or just put the kennel in the box. Spoiled dogs.

Yes, spoiled dog. More often than not I hunt alone and he just rides on the passenger seat. I have Marathon covers and take them off an wash as necessary.

I don't want a topper as I like to be able to haul my ATV in the box.

I have an Access roll tarp and the kennel fits under it. Most days it's too hot under that black tarp. The days it's cool enough, often there's snow. Finish hunting a spot snowy dog goes in the kennel under the tarp, thaws but doesn't dry. Get to spot 2 and wet-dog has more snow stick to his now wet fur, all the while getting colder.

Yes, spoiled dog. But, a dry and comfortable dog hunts longer/harder than a cold/wet dog.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a suggestion as you might not want a dedicated dog space in the back seat. My dogs are always with me so I folded up the seats & covered them with plywood. Then cut galvanized mesh and hooped it over and down the back of the front seats. Clipped other wire mesh for the ends to cover just the seat belts. Works great.

cache.php

Good idea, however I have factory installed under-seat storage. Even w/the seat flipped up, there's not as much room on the floor, certainly not enough for a travel kennel.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blankets, towels, old jackets, anything rolled up on the seat. All of those things make ass-wipe, in an emergency.

I guess, so does foam-rubber..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get some medium density foam and cut what I need with an electric filet knife. (wide old school blades - not shark)

You'd be shocked how "factory" you can carve any foam if you've had any experience with an electric.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blankets, towels, old jackets, anything rolled up on the seat. All of those things make ass-wipe, in an emergency.

I guess, so does foam-rubber..

I use ass-wipe for ass-wipe.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am with the towel/blanket crowd. Super formable for what you need, and always available for the other "necessities".

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still wondering why 3'' is such a big deal with a backseat dog kennel. Did your dog complain or are you that level headed ?

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd use an old army issue wool blanket under doggie. Warm, cheap, absorbs water, durable, can be formed into any shape needed, and when hunting season is over you can wash it and put it in almost any space in the truck to use for winter survival, kneeling/laying on for flat tires or other emergency maintenance should the need arise.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd use an old army issue wool blanket under doggie. Warm, cheap, absorbs water, durable, can be formed into any shape needed, and when hunting season is over you can wash it and put it in almost any space in the truck to use for winter survival, kneeling/laying on for flat tires or other emergency maintenance should the need arise.

I got one of those to cover my backseat! It's Army Surplus from Fleet Farm (Swiss Army, I think). Thin, but heavy and itchy as hell. Horrible for humans. Dog love it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still wondering why 3'' is such a big deal with a backseat dog kennel. Did your dog complain or are you that level headed ?

Because invariably the dog ends up mashed into the low corner up against the side of the kennel whether he wants to be or not. There's a 3" drop over ~20" front-to-back.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75