Pointing Labs

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have one they love? Recommend a breeder? Also potentially interested in a lab/gsp mix if anyone knows someone who might be breeding them. Want a pointing dog, really like the temperament of labs. Thoughts?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one too. It’s really weird to see a lab point the first time lol. But man I wouldn’t be without one. They do it all.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has gmpr in his blood line and he naturally will point a little but I am not enforcing it. If I did I think he would point.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have one they love? Recommend a breeder? Also potentially interested in a lab/gsp mix if anyone knows someone who might be breeding them. Want a pointing dog, really like the temperament of labs. Thoughts?

Small Munsterlander

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have seen several labs over the years that would pause for a few seconds before they tried to eat the bird this is a very good trait for a flushing dog. my current lab has none of this

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was once a dog guy on the old FB site that would always chime in whenever someone mentioned 'pointing labs. Long story short, there is no such thing officially as a pointing lab. Lol, he had a lot of knowledge on dogs but was a purist.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have bred both, but am not currently expecting a litter.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was once a dog guy on the old FB site that would always chime in whenever someone mentioned 'pointing labs. Long story short, there is no such thing officially as a pointing lab. Lol, he had a lot of knowledge on dogs but was a purist.

thats not true as there is a whole tilted system for pointing labs. Gmpr is a grand master pointing retriver. Just like a hrc has grhrch which is a grand retriever hunting champion and akc has the afc or fc for field trails and mh for hunt tests.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, I'm just telling you about what this guy was saying, lol. There were legendary umpteen page threads devoted to this very topic, GST vs Plainsman status. Well, about half as bad as them.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a lab growing up that would "sight-point", in that when he was pointing and his tail stopped, he was looking @ the bird. It wasn't the low-head, leg-up traditional "point". His head was about as high as he could get it, nose down, ears perked up, almost in a "dominating/domineering" pose.

I've not hunted behind a "pointing lab" that can scent point and hold a bird like a true pointing breed does.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a lab growing up that would "sight-point", in that when he was pointing and his tail stopped, he was looking @ the bird. It wasn't the low-head, leg-up traditional "point". His head was about as high as he could get it, nose down, ears perked up, almost in a "dominating/domineering" pose.

I've not hunted behind a "pointing lab" that can scent point and hold a bird like a true pointing breed does.
mine does. No different than a short hair pointing dog. She doesn’t always stay on point because in a lot of situations the bird takes off. Then she tracks it down and flushes it. It’s the best of both worlds. She hunt meticulously slow a lot of the time. Which usually keeps the birds from running. It’s especially nice in late season on jumpy birds. She’s very stealthy and you can usually get right up on jumpy birds too.

Honkerslayr

I bought a male from high caliber labradors out of SD 4.5 years ago. Great pointing lab and has been very solid with almost no direction other than the standard commands. They were great to work with, I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a pointing lab. He's 80lbs and is a great family dog as well. hope this helps.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I bought a male from high caliber labradors out of SD 4.5 years ago. Great pointing lab and has been very solid with almost no direction other than the standard commands. They were great to work with, I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a pointing lab. He's 80lbs and is a great family dog as well. hope this helps.

I have two females from High Caliber and couldn’t be happier. Andy is top notch in my book.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one from Brad Donald @ High Point Labs near Watertown SD around fifteen years ago. He was a great dog with strong pointing and hunting ability. Not sure if they are still breeding dogs, but I would guess so.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with a reputable breeder. Please don't go searching (or asking) for some mix where you have no idea what you're going to get. You're just as liable to get a flushing dog that can't retrieve as you are with one that has desirable traits.

Last edited:

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My family has been getting labs out of Sauk River Retrievers in Osakis MN for a while now. Can be difficult to get on the list at times but always happy with the temperament of the dogs at home and the drive in the field so it is worth the wait. My lab is 5 and points on birds that hold (so early season dumb ones and late season in the snow).PM me if you would like pictures/details on anything.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76