Ideas for Small Crab Apples?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, we have this tree at work that is plump full of them. I would guess 20 gallons. I eat them quite a bit this time of year throughout the day once they sweeten up. They are ready. I hate to see them go to waste. But, I am not exactly sure what can be done with them. We have a tree of the bigger crab apples at home that I make fruit roll ups out of, jelly, dehydrated, etc..

But, these apples are small. Like the size of regular north dakota plums or small grocery store plums. I have an old enterprise sausage stuffer with the strainer and strainer plate. But, i can't see peeling these little things and i suspect the peels will plug that thing up instantly. I also have one of those steam juicer/extractor contraptions and figure this will be the only way to get anything worth while out of them. but, am probably going to have to cut them in half or even quarters to expose them to the steam.

Anyone deal with these smaller apples? Ideas?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mom used to can those small crab apples. They were a treat in the middle of winter.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a while back that you can freeze them and thaw them out and they get mushy, then boil them and mash them up. That's all I remember , I suppose then strain them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to try it with plums but we didn't get enough to mess with this year.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
My FIL makes his own liqueur with chokecherries, sugar and everclear. I suspect you could do this with those apples.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go to Recipe's of North Dakota. Those cooks and chefs Moms and Grandmas will have some ideas for you.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This disappoints me. Back in my day, by this time of year crab-apple-war season was in full swing, and we were searching for crab apple trees that had anything left on them. Kids are pussies these days.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Recipe's of North Dakota. Those cooks and chefs Moms and Grandmas will have some ideas for you.

Thanks for the heads up on this site .

- - - Updated - - -

This disappoints me. Back in my day, by this time of year crab-apple-war season was in full swing, and we were searching for crab apple trees that had anything left on them. Kids are pussies these days.

crab apples work good in potato guns , I'll take you on for old times sake .

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I used to wrist rocket the crap out of them. Fun times.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest making apple liqueur. Lots of recipes out on the interweb, I have used chokecherries, raspberries, peaches, plums, strawberries, cherries, and pears. There is a long wait time, but people seem to like it.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suggest making apple liqueur. Lots of recipes out on the interweb, I have used chokecherries, raspberries, peaches, plums, strawberries, cherries, and pears. There is a long wait time, but people seem to like it.

Most yeast strains can tolerate an alcohol concentration of 10–15% before being killed. This is why the percentage of alcohol in wines and beers is typically in this concentration range.

To get to any higher alcohol content you would need a still.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most yeast strains can tolerate an alcohol concentration of 10–15% before being killed. This is why the percentage of alcohol in wines and beers is typically in this concentration range.

To get to any higher alcohol content you would need a still.

Not saying you are wrong, just that it's kind of an apples vs oranges thing here. I am talking about infusing fruit flavors and sugar into something like vodka. No fermentation expected in what I do.

For example, here's a recipe I use for making some pretty flavorful chokecherry liqueur:

2 qts chokecherries
4 cups sugar

Take the above freshly washed chokecherries and combine them in a bowl with the sugar. Spoon the now sugar covered chokecherries into a 2 quart mason jar. Now fill that mason jar with vodka, cap and let sit in a cool cupboard for ~30 days.

After 30 days, run the contents of said mason jar through a jelly filter (cheese cloth also works) and bottle it in a clean liquor bottle.

If you try the contents of the mason jar at this point, you may be inclined to throw it away. It will likely taste like cough syrup. No problem though, let it sit for roughly 5-6 months and it will mellow to the point it's a real treat, especially if chilled.

I tend to make this in large batches nowadays so I have enough in the cupboard to allow plenty of time for it to mellow. If you crack it open too early, it will be drinkable, but the longer it ages the better. So far I have not been fortunate enough to have a bottle last longer than about a year, maybe a little more, after the original 6 month waiting period. Near as I can tell, it was still improving when we finished off the last bit of it.

Like I said, there are lots of recipes on the interweb and the amount of sugar is obviously not set in stone. For sweeter fruits, like peaches, etc, I strongly recommend halving the sugar, or maybe even going all the way down to a single cup of sugar. You can also play with the base alcohol, like adding some everclear to ratchet up the alcohol content, or adding or using brandy/whiskey to really make something unusual.

I tend to get about 750 ml from a 2 qt jar when using most fruits.

- - - Updated - - -

note: there tends to be about a cup of sugar left in the bowl that doesn't end up in the solution. And during the initial 30 day infusion period, shake the jars every few days to help get all the sugar to dissolve and keeping things mixed up.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. For something with a durable skin, like apples and plums, slicing them or at least poking lots of holes in the skin is preferred.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or make some fermented apples, feed them to the coons and squirrels, then video record. Oh so much fun you would/could have. Just another option ;:;boozer::laughing::

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brothers and I had some epic battles when we were young with ripe crab apples - left a mark like a paintball!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
picked about 15 gallons and called it quits. frankly, this project looks like it is gonna suck ass. stems stayed on a lot of them. so, they will have to be removed. i imagine i will have to slice each damn one of them if i expect the extractor to do its job. or borrow a juicer. i like allens liquer idea. not sure i can stomach the idea of waiting 6 months to taste my product though.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, I've never tried apples, but do know that the wait time varies between the other fruit. Chokecherry has by far the longer wait time to mellow. Pear has been the quickest.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member

My daughter and nieces used to have my son drive around the house on the 3 wheeler and they would ambush him with crab apples, they had a blast!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75