Leupold BDC Reticle

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Hey guys,
I've got a Leupold VX-3 with the BDC reticle and Im trying to figure out yardage estimates for each line. Does anyone know of a calculator to give a rough idea. I couldn't find anything on leupolds website.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I understand, those lines are generally set up for a particular factory load, unless you develop a handload and learn the drops at certain distances. Then you would need to send the scope to the factory with those drops for that load, and they can set up the reticle for your particular drops. Someone with more knowledge in this area will likely chime in - correct me if I'm off base here.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will have to figure it out by shooting your rifle. They aren't setup for anything specific. If your scope has a CDS (custom dial system) you can send it in with your load data and Leupold will design custom turrets for it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you know your velocity you can plug it into StrelokPro and it will give you all your holds

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
BDC scopes need to be calibrated by shooting. I have a Nikon version, only because Scheels didn't have shit else at the moment I needed a new scope. Basically, you will need to go to the range and burn some ammo to figure it all out. Yeah, the scope should have come with some guidelines in the owner's manual, like zero it at 100 yds, then the second reticle is good at 200, and then 300, etc. But the bottom line is they don't know your specific round's ballistics.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have Leupold's Boone and Crocket reticle, here's an electronic version of the manual:

https://cdnp.leupold.com/products/p...aiming-system-manual.pdf?mtime=20170626163401

If you have something other than the B&C you'll have to tell us what it is.

The shortcut or "simple-est" I can make the B&C is, with most "deer rifle" chamberings you can expect below to apply:

Center crosshair sighted in dead on @ 200yds

1st line =300yds
2nd line = 400yds
short dash = 450yds
top of heavy duplex = 500yds

The edges of the "bowties" @ 300 and 400 represents full-grade 10MPH crosswind.

Again, assuming you have the B&C, you'll need to have your scope @ the highest power for everything to work properly.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Thanks everyone, it is the b&c reticle.. I was hoping for something like the Swarovski app I use for my other rifle where you can enter the caliber, specific bullet etc. And it tells you where the lines should be.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks everyone, it is the b&c reticle.. I was hoping for something like the Swarovski app I use for my other rifle where you can enter the caliber, specific bullet etc. And it tells you where the lines should be.

StrelokPro does exactly that.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

run your load in a ballistics program and use that info as a starting point for your Boone and Crockett sub tensions

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Now, go shoot it and confirm that the settings are where they're supposed to be.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80