1. Back To Top    #1
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

Taxes

So I recently got divorced and my Ex would do our taxes every year...I am looking to try it myself but asking for recommendations on do it yourself programs..i.e. HR Block,Turbo tax etc...My situation is pretty simple...2 kids(we decided we would each claim one) not self employed but I did just start working from home for my company so I have heard you can write some stuff off like utilities?....Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,594
    Given: 783
    I'm self employed and use my house as a office. A certain % of my utilities I can right off. Not sure on exact amount. I pay someone to do mine. I look at the 350$ it cost me to do my taxes as piece of mind.

1 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 31
    Ive used all of them in the past but like credit karma the best. It's easy free and they walk you through everything. Just set up an account and go plus you get your credit score and credit fraud watch.

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 113
    I've used TurboTax for about the last 10 years. No complaints here, generally a pretty good walk through and description of every step.

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,564
    Given: 2,485
    Classifieds
    If it isn’t super simple, pay a CPA for their service.

2 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 0
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
    So I recently got divorced and my Ex would do our taxes every year...I am looking to try it myself but asking for recommendations on do it yourself programs..i.e. HR Block,Turbo tax etc...My situation is pretty simple...2 kids(we decided we would each claim one) not self employed but I did just start working from home for my company so I have heard you can write some stuff off like utilities?....Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!
    Since you are not self employed I don’t think you can itemize that. Did you fill out a 1099 or a W4? If you work for a company and don’t have a 1099 then you are probably better off taking the standard deduction than itemizing. The new tax law limits what can be itemized so it doesn’t work out for most people.

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,010
    Given: 316
    My wife and I have been employed for years, not self-employed. When the houses were paid off, the deductions for Income Tax went with it. It takes a lot of deductions to come up with an itemized list to surpass the standard deduction. We both had hospital insurance as a part of our pay, so medical wasn't enough. I think we are pretty generous with donations and that didn't make up the difference.

Everyone is a little different but with today's standard deduction, without home loan interest or day-care, I would guess most won't itemize. Pays to look into it, but after several years of doing that I've even convinced my wife that I am no longer going to go to the work of looking through everything that we can itemize. Hasn't been worth the time.

Warning: This most likely will not apply to younger families with day-care and home loans.

0 Not allowed!