2020 Opener

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw a surprising number of birds today and about as many hunters as the deer season opener. Good to see hunters afield enjoying the perfect weather and lots of kids walking with the adults too. About an hour of wet feet was enough for me. If looks could kill this rooster would have been dead but he ran out the side.

DSC_8480-001-XL.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20201010_101727.jpg

Ya it pretty easy. Good number of birds made it easy.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep, and part of that might be the virus too but it was a beautiful day. Last 2 years it snowed like crazy on the 10th. I stocked up on apple crisp and am heading out again.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rooster flew up to the edge of my garden at suppertime and now he is resting in the fridge to be supper Sunday night. God loves me this I know.:;:rockitLB

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few years ago I had some in the yard. They were about half way down my post frame barn with a hay loft upstairs over the shed row. I was driving in the driveway when I saw em. Jumped out with the shotgun and was walking toward em when they got up and start flying parallel to the barn. I pulled up and had a bead on the first one just waiting for him to clear the end of the barn. They were flying up even with the hay mound. He flew past a window I half 1/3 of the way in from the end. I remember thinking boy I better take him soon as he hits the end or he will be borderline out of range. When he cleared the window I was like man he’s almost there. Well I got too itchy and let him have it. He came down between the barn and the wife’s round pen she rides horses in. While walking over there I glanced up to the hay mound and oh shit he hadn’t quite cleared the building lol. Put a nice pattern of holes in the last panel.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eyexer you must have went north of town heard there was lots up there

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out Saturday to let the kid ride in the combine for a bit. Figured I would cruise around and check things out since there was a lot of combines going. Didn't see any deer, didn't see any hunters, and only saw one young rooster. There won't be much for standing crop come November 6th, that's for sure.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man the northwest corner of the state got the piss pounded out of it this weekend lol. Very little ground that wasn’t walked.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Better off skipping hunting in the morning on opener after the first couple walks because of all the people unless you have private land. Night hunts are where it’s at if you want to avoid the crowds.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rooster #2 is now cooling in the fridge. Still have not left the house. Lift kitchen window overlooking the garden, shoot and let my lab out the back door and she will find and bring back. Not much of a hunt but I like pheasant for supper. LB

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
horse.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

mrs johnr.jpg

Mrs johnr, our opening weekend was spend in the splendid badlands of ND riding horse with friends, saw a ton of deer.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moose opener was good for my brother.
15 minutes into the season and his trusty .270 put down a dandy. All thanks go to the gracious land owners on this hunt, talk about taking care of a guy! Tractor with loader pressure washer and all!

20201009_102109.jpg

Our .410 only pheasant opener get together was allot better than I thought it'd be. Our group took the most birds since 2006!

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
aa9jO3F2PB22.png

- - - Updated - - -

iqVSnfqZP1Zf.jpeg

Mrs johnr, our opening weekend was spend in the splendid badlands of ND riding horse with friends, saw a ton of deer.

Get your hand off that damn saddle horn you wanna be cow poke.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76