Lightweight treestand

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wanna be more mobile/run&gun in a new area I’m bow hunting this year. I’m looking for a light weight and highly portable system for a treestand. I’ve found this company that makes a really cool product I may order soon https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/. Need it before November 6th. Anyone have any suggestions?

needs to be light, packable, easy/efficient to throw up/takedown and quiet. Suggestions for climbing sticks appreciated as well.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will sound a bit off, but bear with me. The most portable tree stand system I've ever seen consisted of a pair of tree climbing spikes and a ratchet on seat. The whole system weighed about 6 lbs. The guy that used it would find a tree he wanted to set up in, strap on the tree spikes, and climb the tree. He would bring a line (550 cord) with him tied to the seat and to his bow. When he was at the spot he wanted to put up the seat he would bring it up with the line and attach it to the tree. Then he would bring up his bow. If he liked the location, he would just lower his bow and climb down with the tree spikes and leave the seat for another sit. He used this setup in Montana for elk/deer, Wyoming for elk/deer, here in ND for wt/mule deer, and MN for bear/deer. He was VERY successful. He also used this setup on LOTS of public land where leaving a stand overnight is frowned upon. Hope you find something that will work for you.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Crotch-Rocket.jpg
Wags,
I've used this stand many times with success. If the trees in your hunting area will work.
I've also paired it with a ratchet strap seat.

Fish On!

Last edited:

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Millenium m7 microlite. Check out YouTube video wags!
neat system they use

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got one of these a few years ago and it is the ultimate in light weight and portability, like anything the good stuff is not cheap.
https://chippewawedgeloc.com/product/ghost/
I have three of the chain systems. Once you have those in place it is easy to go from spot to spot in hang this quickly
Hard to beat lone wolf climbing sticks, there are also a couple other aluminum style sticks that are really good

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would personally rather carry a few extra ounces and not have to set my stand on one foot. For that reason, I’d much rather have a Hawk Helium set of steps instead of the Lone Wolf steps. I also sit very long (longest sit last spring was an overnight 16 hours) so I like a full seat and platform. Just something to think about. I run a Hawk Helium Kickback and it’s worth the extra couple pounds to keep me a bit more comfy and in the stand longer. My stand location is about 1.5 miles from the trailhead.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would personally rather carry a few extra ounces and not have to set my stand on one foot. For that reason, I’d much rather have a Hawk Helium set of steps instead of the Lone Wolf steps. I also sit very long (longest sit last spring was an overnight 16 hours) so I like a full seat and platform. Just something to think about. I run a Hawk Helium Kickback and it’s worth the extra couple pounds to keep me a bit more comfy and in the stand longer. My stand location is about 1.5 miles from the trailhead.

16 hours?

I’m out

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Can you hunt by moonlight up there in AK?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you hunt by moonlight up there in AK?

Theres technically no legal shooting hours. I can see enough to shoot 24 hours a day at my place by end of May. Usually try to sit by 5-6 PM and either get out by 11 or sit all night. Brown bears seem to be most active around 1-5 AM. For reference, pics attached are screen shots from an iPhone video shortly after midnight. 06BF50D8-E9D9-4A39-A828-AD643FED84A0.jpgCB0C2A01-B74D-46F4-8894-B2BC37D43B48.jpg

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check out XOP products. They guy who started the company left "lone wolf" to start his own company. Quality shit & considerable cheaper than loan wolf.
I wanna be more mobile/run&gun in a new area I’m bow hunting this year. I’m looking for a light weight and highly portable system for a treestand. I’ve found this company that makes a really cool product I may order soon https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/. Need it before November 6th. Anyone have any suggestions?

needs to be light, packable, easy/efficient to throw up/takedown and quiet. Suggestions for climbing sticks appreciated as well.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about a climber? You need the right tree for it, but I have a Summit Goliath that I'm very happy with. The only downfall is the tree availability in an oak forest.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know shit about them, but I would bet a tree saddle would be tough to beat for what you describe. There is a forum dedicated to this; saddlehunter.com. It's always interested me, but I've never gone down that path yet.
I do like the idea of using tree climbing spurs vs messing with steps/sticks etc.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you out there have fallen out of these types of tree-stands? I've never been a fan of hang-on's!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you out there have fallen out of these types of tree-stands? I've never been a fan of hang-on's!
Never, knock on wood. I am always strapped to the tree with a lifeline going up and down and a full harness while in the stand.
I did not used to be that safe In younger days, but there’s so much good equipment now. I have also used a Lineman’s strap while putting steps on

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75