Need some help with goose hunting

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
So my boys are really starting to get into waterfowl hunting. We've done quite a bit of duck hunting with some success sitting on potholes with decoys but they really want to shoot some geese which we've had a hard time finding in good numbers. I would love to take them out on one good good hunt this year within the next two weeks.

Can anyone recommend a good general area (I'm not asking for your secret hunting spot) to start scouting? I'm willing to drive a good distance but anything within 2 hours of Bismarck would be great.

Also, if you are gonna be a hater and tell me that I need to put in the time and effort to find my own spot, then just stop and don't respond and don't be a dick. I just need a starting point.

Also, I have access to about 3 dozen decoys.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do alot of driving around napoleon and see all kinds of geese around there. I would bet you get a big push here the next week or two with colder weather coming in

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This time of year is tough finding big numbers of geese, especially ones that haven’t been shot at a bunch. I would find some coming off Sak or Audubon but getting permission for the fields can be tough. If you wait for the migration in November the birds will be all over bigger roosts( lakes/ Missouri/ big sloughs). I have always found hunting ducks and geese this time of year more difficult.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head north around Washburn and look for some pasture ponds. Until they freeze they are good areas to kill a few honkers with your boys with limited decoys required. Will be easier than trying to get big flocks to commit. If you find an area with good numbers flying around, you will give yourself a chance at getting some shooting. Invest in a flag as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This time of year is tough finding big numbers of geese, especially ones that haven’t been shot at a bunch. I would find some coming off Sak or Audubon but getting permission for the fields can be tough. If you wait for the migration in November the birds will be all over bigger roosts( lakes/ Missouri/ big sloughs). I have always found hunting ducks and geese this time of year more difficult.

What other time of year do you hunt them? :;:smokin

Come April and May they would be ridiculously easy in my backyard.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What other time of year do you hunt them? :;:smokin

Come April and May they would be ridiculously easy in my backyard.

i think he means that period from when early season has been going a while and the big push of fresh birds have not shown up. It gets tough to hunt

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
As mentioned^^ sak area,but gotta head that way and watch where they go to feed coming off the lake fyi stay away from kemare area unless you're boyz want to join in the festivities,goose fest starts this weekend,might be a good source to meet some land owners and other connections,it a good time for all,like most years winners of the hunt usually put the sneak on the birds from what I remember.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw my first batch of swans & snows on the ground in central ND today.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you know a pelicans beak can hold more than its belly can?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74