Boat Fishing in the Cold

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking at temps the next 2 weeks, gonna be pretty chilly but I'm determined to keep fishing in the boat till Halloween weekend. So with that being said, anything out of the ordinary you guys do when taking your boat out in temps at or around freezing? Planning to go Sunday afternoon, I'll be dressed comparable to an ice fishing outing. Also plan to take the Buddy heater out on the boat with me. Any other cold weather boat fishing tips for on the water and after appreciated...thanks gents! #$%^&>

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just make sure you trim down and let water run out of motor when you pull out of water

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
several pairs of gloves in case some get wet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wear your inflatable OUTSIDE your coat if inflatables are your goto vest.

Not sure why - but open water is colder than ice - makes no sense. Maybe a humidity (heat capacity) thing.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first time on the river this spring the temps were in the teens. Keep the motor in the water and drain it as soon as you are out. Let your electric drain a bit too before making a run otherwise you may have ice in the latch system.

Best thing to add to your boat is a pair of ski goggles for those cold runs.

Pull trailers and boats out of the water SLOWLY so the trailer drains into the water and not onto the ramp creating ice for the next guys. Good to have a bucket of salt/sand mix with you too.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Heated full face mask helmet/visor that I use for snowmobiling (ice fishing) would be fantastic. (plugged into cigarette lighter)

- - - Updated - - -

especially with a tiller

yeesh

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chaps work well on the bike, should be good in a cold water application too.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My first time on the river this spring the temps were in the teens. Keep the motor in the water and drain it as soon as you are out. Let your electric drain a bit too before making a run otherwise you may have ice in the latch system.

Pull trailers and boats out of the water SLOWLY so the trailer drains into the water and not onto the ramp creating ice for the next guys. Good to have a bucket of salt/sand mix with you too.

Great point man...never thought about letting water drain from trolling motor before making a run!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the goggles all the time since I have little windshield, but in the cold its really good ideal. Try not getting wet. Drotto latch for loading !!!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^ Ha ha Rowdie...yeah if anything other than my hands get wet on Sunday it will be a fail!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh and if your hands get cold, put on a stocking cap.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got double sided Gorilla tape...was thinking about taping a blanket to the windshield walk thru door to cover that open space between the windshield and the rod locker. Figured it would help keep whatever heat the Buddy heater generates too!

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got double sided Gorilla tape...was thinking about taping a blanket to the windshield walk thru door to cover that open space between the windshield and the rod locker. Figured it would help keep whatever heat the Buddy heater generates too!

Find a cooler or tackle box that fills that space. It helps alot.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Never thought about salt/sand in the truck - great idea!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
YarCrafts come with a door that closes that space!

Since when? Rangers come with a snap tarp to close off below the windshield. I've had 3 Yar-crafts and have never had one come with the boat and have never seen one. I had a matching vinyl one made for my 2018 that snaps to the counsoles and bottom of the windshield and has zipers on the side for quick access!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since when? Rangers come with a snap tarp to close off below the windshield. I've had 3 Yar-crafts and have never had one come with the boat and have never seen one. I had a matching vinyl one made for my 2018 that snaps to the counsoles and bottom of the windshield and has zipers on the side for quick access!

Sorry, no picture and it has been moved to storage in Botno but the boat is a: 1998 Year-Craft 1895 Storm. It has a recessed door that can be swung closed and latched between the floor and the windshield that crosses between the twin windshields.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74