Stove question.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we noticed extended times were needed to bake things. Cranked the oven higher and only saw the bottom element get red. So bad top element. Let her cool overnight and hit the google nightmare. See things about checking resistance, ok, I can do that. Unscrew the element and give it a tug, crap, it is not a simple plugged into a socket set up. So I grab the oven and start to pull it from the wall, snap, crackle smoke… wtf. Still plugged in, so maybe I am seeing signs of a different issue. Get it pulled out and unplugged. See that the dangling element had angled up to the case and shorted out. Apparently the element has power going to it all the time? Looks like it just burnt the end of the wire/element connection off. So I do the resistance test, 16 ohms… mmm, thought the google said that was in the range of good, lots of math shit that I don’t want to partake. Test the sensor do jobby that controls the temp 1k ohms, think that is ok. So next step???? Element is 60 bucks, the age old question, throw $60 at a $200 old POS?

That guy

Honored Member
If your married I would do the $60. A new stove will turn into new fridge, dishwaser, microwave, hell even a remodel by the time she is done.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We personally would dump it if it is old and get a newer one.
Granted most newer ones are made with cheaper or lighter materials but quite a few are way more efficient when using power.
Just my 2 cents.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually the top element is only on if you are using the broil setting.

hmm, interesting, guess I should have tested that mode before taking the bitch apart. Plugged it in with out the element in, 120v going to one side of element, that is when connected to case. F'n around with 220 makes me nervous, wonder why breaker didn't trip with the earlier fireworks?

Money is tight or I wouldn't be f'n with this old POS, no worries about wife getting a nickel, would only buy her white gloves in november.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best bet is to let the bitch burn down your entire house, before spending $$$ on getting a new one

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
well crap, now that you publicly pointed out that avenue it becomes to risky... I could never do insurance fraud, to honest, poor liar, guilt would eat me alive...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats why you get a good insurance man that knows the in and out to make this plan work. Juanr maybe able to help you out

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you check around your area for a used one ? Seems like appliances are a dime a dozen when your not looking for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Convection ovens are awesome for dehydrating stuff .

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think electric ovens use both top and bottom elements to get up to temperature and then bake or broil with only one. Mine do at least.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, a Lot of appliance places have used. Like stated 1 thing leads to another and another because for shits sakes, it's all got to match. Mine for example. Issues with the broiler, so we now have new stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher. Never ends. . .

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats why you get a good insurance man that knows the in and out to make this plan work. Juanr maybe able to help you out

hmmm couple bottles of dickel and walk away rich and single, juanr could pull that off, while grilling.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check around your area for a used one ? Seems like appliances are a dime a dozen when your not looking for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Convection ovens are awesome for dehydrating stuff .

I will be watching but buying other people junk has a downside. Wife got a sweet deal on a dishwasher, the racks in the old one were getting cruddy. The cheapo from a remodel job was designed by a (insert politically incorrect word from the 80s). And the dryer debacle of 93 still pisses me off. I like to tinker with the dang things but hate throwing money down the toilet. I put it back together, repairing my fried wire from the learning about electrocution moment and seems to work, both elements heat up. Need to find my smoker thermometer, son had some guys in the shop and now it is missing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think electric ovens use both top and bottom elements to get up to temperature and then bake or broil with only one. Mine do at least.

hmmm, time to go down the google/youtube rabbit hole

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I though we were talking about an ice house heating stove and it turns out to be a kitchen range! ;:;popcorn

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
WormWiggler I will be watching but buying other people junk has a downside. Wife got a sweet deal on a dishwasher said:
Atta boy . If you have internet and a test meter you can do almost anything if you have the time. I'd check that breaker too, it should have tripped.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife tried to kill me when we were newlyweds , I was working on our stove and she was running the breaker switch . I remember this like it was yesterday , I said turn the breaker off , she said OK. I said is it off ? She said yes . I was sitting on an old wooden stool and when the 220 hit me I jumped back so hard that I broke the stool. Every since then I like to work alone.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, 220 under a load is no joke. It knocked me right the hell off a ladder one time, thank heavens I was awkwardly leaning away from the ladder or I might still be sizzling on that SOB.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, 220 under a load is no joke. It knocked me right the hell off a ladder one time, thank heavens I was awkwardly leaning away from the ladder or I might still be sizzling on that SOB.

Same. Tack-welded a bit right into the Dewalt in my hand. New steel siding, whole house went hot briefly. I landed on my butt, and had the fear of God in me.

One other time, like an idiot, I had a big screwdriver in a breaker-box. Touched something I shouldn't have. A buzzing noise, and in about one-fourth of a second, half of the screwdriver shaft was melted through. Big screwdriver. About the thickness of my little finger.

To the original poster, I would recommend buying a new stove. If you don't get one with all the doo-dads, and bells and whistles, they're relatively cheap. Buy whatever color the rest of your appliances are. You'll sleep like a baby, not worrying about "Is that burning-wire smell in the kitchen again?".

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah, I am thinking new stove may be best, put it back together then learned that the wire connector I used on the broiler element connection should have been a high temp version, oof. With a bunch of reading sounds like the broiler element may run during preheat operations and/or run at 120v during baking. Not able to find model specific info that I needed. Put it back together and checked the fire extinguisher, guess I will find a baking project to test run, but I didn't really fix shit, so doubt anything fixed itself. Menards 11% off will be handy but getting the refund sent off via snail mail is a pain in the arse.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah, I am thinking new stove may be best, put it back together then learned that the wire connector I used on the broiler element connection should have been a high temp version, oof. With a bunch of reading sounds like the broiler element may run during preheat operations and/or run at 120v during baking. Not able to find model specific info that I needed. Put it back together and checked the fire extinguisher, guess I will find a baking project to test run, but I didn't really fix shit, so doubt anything fixed itself. Menards 11% off will be handy but getting the refund sent off via snail mail is a pain in the arse.

Make copies of all the receipts, before you send them in. I recently almost lost a $120 rebate, for a water heater. They couldn't find it. I emailed copies of everything, and got my rebate. Not enough to change my life - but def worth chasing down.

Jaykay

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79