Best gun cleaner

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I’ve used a bunch of different cleaners over the years. I also do a lot of motocross suspension rebuilding and modifying. Which entails a lot of cleaning on highly polished and anodized aluminum parts. Used to always use stoddard solvent to clean with but a few years ago they started making a cleaner for suspensions in an aerosol can. It’s works awesome. And smells kind of good actually. At least to me lol. Anyway I ran out of gun cleaner the other day and decided piss on it I’ll just use the suspension clean. Wow. It’s way better than the gun cleaners I’ve used. The beauty is it eats through anything and leaves no film whatsoever. I think you guys really need to try it. And it’s way cheaper. It’s a big can. Would last a hell of a long time. I usually buy it by the case because I go through quite a bit on bikes.

https://www.motosport.com/maxima-su...al-formula?variant[MXM001B]=MXM001B-X001-Y001

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way different. Not harsh like that shit. I use that all the time for other things and there is no comparison

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's 40-100% N-Hexane with CO2 propellant

safe for most o-rings and seals - temporary contact

not good for silicones - it'll swell the heck out of them and maybe eff them up

I think some gun stocks have silicone coating for grip - benelli for instance

- - - Updated - - -

to see what's in the brake cleaner you use - search it's name and "SDS" - which stands for Safety Data Sheet - those list the ingredients unless they're proprietary (not very often the case)

- - - Updated - - -

Brownells has a SDS link on every cleaner page so you can see diff between synthetic stock safe and traditional

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/degreasers/index.htm

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always thought the best gun cleaner was anyone who could take apart and put back together in operating condition a Browning Auto-5.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
for years I used "birchwood casey bore schrubber,spendy worked good,then one day a old timer came along told me to use carb cleaner,same stuff casey 1/2 the price,haven't looked back since ,that was 20 years ago,now I'm a old timer at the range.

Ah yes,the joy's of breaking down our old trusty browning A-5's,for cold weather I found that a lite coat of W-D on the mag tube was the ticket for cold weather cycling.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simple Green did adequate on my M-4 more than once. Even with a patch inspection.

- - - Updated - - -

I was gentle with the bore for nine+ yrs and prone groups reflected this. I never understood scrubbing a bore with a copper dissolving solvent and a copper brush. That's a recipe for a damn mess and holding up the group from getting the hell somewhere else. Pull the damn dry brush evenly through the bore from muzzle to chamber a couple times then patch it out with SG or authorized cleaning liquid.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with PB Blaster, a bore snake and some old cut pieces of a tee shirt, hell I've washed my AR-15's in the bath tub with hot soapy water, never have put oil on the parts of a AR

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you guyz remember or still use "Hoppes #9" as a kid my dad always cleaned our shotguns with this stuff,smelled up the house,but it was a good smell as it meant game time the following day,Not sure if hoppes is still out there?

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend who was a gunsmith always swore by and used Brake Free.

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used brake free on mine and thought it worked great. I used it on my wife's.870 and it took the finish off the wood. She still chews my ass about it and its been over a year

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have used Hoppes # 9 since 1968 , always felt it has done a good job on my firearms , still buy it at Scheels

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simple Green did adequate on my M-4 more than once. Even with a patch inspection.

- - - Updated - - -

I was gentle with the bore for nine+ yrs and prone groups reflected this. I never understood scrubbing a bore with a copper dissolving solvent and a copper brush. That's a recipe for a damn mess and holding up the group from getting the hell somewhere else. Pull the damn dry brush evenly through the bore from muzzle to chamber a couple times then patch it out with SG or authorized cleaning liquid.

I need to add I used a LIGHT coat of oil after the SG and always lubed the shit out of the bolt carrier before qual.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's 40-100% N-Hexane with CO2 propellant

safe for most o-rings and seals - temporary contact

not good for silicones - it'll swell the heck out of them and maybe eff them up

I think some gun stocks have silicone coating for grip - benelli for instance

- - - Updated - - -

to see what's in the brake cleaner you use - search it's name and "SDS" - which stands for Safety Data Sheet - those list the ingredients unless they're proprietary (not very often the case)

- - - Updated - - -

Brownells has a SDS link on every cleaner page so you can see diff between synthetic stock safe and traditional

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/degreasers/index.htm
the suspensions I use it on have o’Ring seals and rubber nitrogen bladders. Doesn’t bother them a bit

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74