Time dilemma: Hunt now or wait

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have very, very little time to hunt this year, and my season is now split with wanting to fill my archery tag (doe or buck, doesn't matter, just filling the freezer) and pheasant hunting with my aging/ailing dogs.

This weekend is Halloween, and I need to make a decision on whether to make a 2-hour one-way run to my deer woods and sit for 4-5 hours before flying back in time to take the kiddos trick-or-treating, or should I just drive the hour to pheasant country and chase roosters, and battle the orange army next weekend?

Only issue I see for Saturday is the really high winds, which makes hunting for either game difficult. I just don't know with the rut starting to kick off, if it would still be better to hedge my bets in the deer woods, vs. trying to hit a rooster in 40-mph winds.

Either way, I'm not sitting on the couch. So if you were me, what would you do??

It's tempting to get my bow tag filled. Then I can focus on roosters for the rest of the fall without having venison on my brain.

Decisions, decisions.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I face the same dilemma several times each year.
Go with Dogs and Roosters.
You’re welcome and good luck!

catchindeers

I would be trying to fill my Bow tag, a lot more meat and then you can chase roosters until January.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I leave tomorrow for a week. Only down side ducks are going to be here in numbers and leaving the puppy

Redneck1

Whatever you decide to do just make damn sure you stay off the private property.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm sure you have your reasons but why do you make a 2-hour one way drive every time you want to sit in a deer stand? There has to be an area closer to home than that.
On the other hand you could stay home and out of the wind, spending a little time with momma, and then next year you would have one more reason to go trick or treating. Just a thought.
An after-thought: Spending time with your kids always trumps virtually any other choice.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I face the same dilemma several times each year.
Go with Dogs and Roosters.
You’re welcome and good luck!

That is right. Burn the deer tag, go hunt the King. (More shots fired for hours spent) And your dogs will love you for it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure you have your reasons but why do you make a 2-hour one way drive every time you want to sit in a deer stand? There has to be an area closer to home than that.

Tradition, I guess. I've been hunting the same deer woods for 18 years. They were closer when I lived in Grand Forks. I know them well. They rarely let me down. And if I was more into big game hunting, I most certainly would have done my homework closer to here, thus helping negate the windshield time. But as it stands I'm a bird hunter first, and deer hunter second. If I'm ever dog-less again, that could change.

- - - Updated - - -

That is right. Burn the deer tag, go hunt the King. (More shots fired for hours spent) And your dogs will love you for it.

LOL, we did hunt the king two weekends ago! Ruffed grouse in Minnesota's Iron Range. ;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're asking NDA goofballs to set your priorities?

Gosh - it looks like I misjudged your savvy factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an outside chance to shoot the pheasant of a lifetime if you chase them rather than deer?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you think your dogs can wait and still be healthy later I would try to fill the tag. Either way both seasons go until January so it's a hard choice. I do not hunt pheasants until after rifle season. Seems that most people lose interest in chasing birds the colder it gets and I love hunting them when it's cold. Whatever you chose, good luck and happy hunting!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want, just come to my place and shoot your deer. Got LOTS of does coming in every day along with a few small bucks, but nothing over 75 inches. Take whatever tickles your fancy. Give me a call (you still have the number right?) if you want and I'll do what I can to help fill your freezer. Might even sit with you and watch. I now have an 8X8 ground blind that OH SO COMFY. Especially for an old fat guy like me. (Grin)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're asking NDA goofballs to set your priorities?

Gosh - it looks like I misjudged your savvy factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an outside chance to shoot the pheasant of a lifetime if you chase them rather than deer?

Unlike our current political climate, I enjoy seeing other people's point of view to help form my own thoughts and opinions ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If you want, just come to my place and shoot your deer. Got LOTS of does coming in every day along with a few small bucks, but nothing over 75 inches. Take whatever tickles your fancy. Give me a call (you still have the number right?) if you want and I'll do what I can to help fill your freezer. Might even sit with you and watch. I now have an 8X8 ground blind that OH SO COMFY. Especially for an old fat guy like me. (Grin)

With COVID and the border closed, I figured your phone would be ringing off the hook and I didn't want to be "that guy." But since you suggested, I'll call (yes, I still have your number -- and frost bite from the last doe I took by your place (he he)

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you live? I'd let you on my stuff this weekend to shoot a doe so you can do both.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take the dogs hunting in the morning, as they never live long enough. (Gunnar has been gone 2 years and it sucks hunting without a dog) :( Take the kids trick or treating in the evening as they grow up way to fast. Bow hunt after this weekend when it gets to cold for the dogs and kids.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a touch choice between the two. But I like how you mentioned making it home to take your kids trick or treating, good for you! Kids are a gift from God and should be a mans top priority.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh, My parents never took me trick or treating. Not one time, must not have loved me. :( ... older brother did my first few years....after that I was on my own. I always get a kick out of young parents dragging (literally ) infants and really small kids out trick or treating. They have no clue what's going on.

If you have older dogs ..... take them, and the kids, they make good dogs too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74