Electrical Interference

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sonar and live will pumps are both powered from the engine starting battery. Whenever the livewell recirc pump runs (its on a timer) electrical noise causes my sonar to quit working. Is there a device that I could install to filter out this electronic noise and if so where in the circuit should it be installed. I have toyed with the idea of powering the sonar off of the trolling motor batteries but am afraid that that might be as bad or more of a problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't recommend powering the sonar off the trolling motor batteries. Probably get more interference.

Is the wiring for both the sonar and the pump separate (not sharing a common pos or ground) back to the battery?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
could be a bad connection, i had a aluminum boat once that somebody used the boat as ground and i had all kinds of interference issues

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're currently running on the same fuse block and/or master power switch, Hard-wire the sonar direct to the battery. Anther option if you're on a fuse block or master switch would be to clean up all the connections on the switches and fuses. Lastly, you could try running a heavier gauge wire to the master or fuse block.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't think this is interference either. Sounds more like a power drain is shutting things down for you. I have the same problem, but have been too lazy to fix it. The "fix" is to clean the electrical connections. One of them is restricting the amps.

Either that or you have a bad battery. That too could be a problem although I would think this would be an obvious problem if it was the culprit.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat is fiberglass so everything is grounded back to the battery. The sonar is powered from a shared master switch. I do have a dedicated circuit going to the down/side scan computer. Maybe I will look at tying into that or running a separate circuit. The starting motor battery already has a half dozen wires connected to each terminal so going to run out of stud. LOL

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hardwired it to the motor starting battery today. Fun job! ::: Might have to go fishing tomorrow and see if it was worth the pain and bloodshed.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember to turn off sonar unit or you'll be unable to start boat next time out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75