NEW Ice Fishing JIGS ??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year there seem to be "NEW" or variations of old jigs. I'm just now gaining confidence with jigging raps with no bait. It's hard not putting a minnow on, it just is. The ones that kinda swim, jigging raps, I'm just calling all them jigging rap style, or swimming jigs.

What's everyone's favorite Jigging Rap style jig, or swimming jig? SIZE??? This is my biggest Q?

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Oddly enough, I don't have much experience with jigging raps while ice fishing. Most of my experience with them is open water, and they are by far my favorite lure and style to fish. No. 5 jigging rap, in UV green.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone checked out all the "New" ones by different companies like clam?

- - - Updated - - -

They look just like jigging raps to me, but they have a lot of colors.

- - - Updated - - -

And here's the ACME HYPER RATTLE

- - - Updated - - -

Again, not sure what size to get??

- - - Updated - - -

AND the ACME HYPER GLIDE I have a couple of these, I think I even caught one on it.

- - - Updated - - -

The way the sides open up like wings looks really cool and slows the swim down a lot. They really do glide nice! Again, I only have one size, not sure what would be best for size??

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And the NORTHLAND RATTLIN' PUPPET MINNOW

I've never heard of this one "New?"

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=272]Rowdie[/MENTION] Those new northland rattlin puppet minnow looks interesting. I may have to order some for both ice fishing and open water. While going through northland's website, I noticed they sell unpainted buckshots. we'll see if I can't come up with something for those bad boys.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, there are a lot of them I like, but at $5 - $9 EACH I like to know what size and styles work best lol.

I still like the ones that are made for hooking a minnow on too.

- - - Updated - - -

Like these

71992109398_F

- - - Updated - - -

Or the Phantom Tilly "New?"

- - - Updated - - -

I have some SHIVER MINNOWS now these are heavy....I don't think the ones I have have the hook coming out of the front though. Just the tail.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
tillys have been around for a coupe of years. I've also never witnessed a shiver minnow with the front hook. Someone makes a mold of the shiver minnow now. I haven't taken the leap to purchase it yet.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm still teaching from home in January, I might just hold class on the ice!! lol Live math class from the ICE!!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They are extremely effective for producing strikes and brief battles off the wingwalls. Don't expect to land many fish with the damn things.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every year there seem to be "NEW" or variations of old jigs. I'm just now gaining confidence with jigging raps with no bait. It's hard not putting a minnow on, it just is. The ones that kinda swim, jigging raps, I'm just calling all them jigging rap style, or swimming jigs.

What's everyone's favorite Jigging Rap style jig, or swimming jig? SIZE??? This is my biggest Q?
I have caught fish on the acme hyper glide but man does it glide out wide sometimes out side of your transducer cone. Phantom Tillys have worked ok one day but really haven’t put them to the test much.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Which one? The Tilly?

I've only ever used Rapala on ice and otherwise. The above look similar in design and I ASSumed.

- - - Updated - - -

Upon closer perusal I would definitely try the Tilly from the wingwalls. Much more logical than Rap IMO.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve pretty much went to all ripping rap through the ice with my dead sticks with minnows! When the fish are in a neutral mood the ripping rap brings them in and they will hit the dead sticks. When the fish are active they will crush the ripping rap!
Have caught perch on the #4 #5 #6 and #7 walleye love them as well

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I’ve pretty much went to all ripping rap through the ice with my dead sticks with minnows! When the fish are in a neutral mood the ripping rap brings them in and they will hit the dead sticks. When the fish are active they will crush the ripping rap!

What are your favorite rippin rap colors for ND fishing?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't go wrong with the Jigging Rap's. #5's and 7's for ice, maybe a #9 if you are big fish hunting. I actually think the old Nilsmaster Jigger's are better in an ice situation. No even sure if you can get them anymore. I have not used the Shiver Minnows under the ice, like them in open water. Another old favorite of mine are the Nils Jigging Shads. Rapala makes a jigging shad too, I just haven't had the success on it that the Nils has had. The Nilsmaster lures are really tough to find though. I just purchased some Hyper Glides, excited to use them. Like the profile, size and weight. Finally, the Salmo Chubby Darter has been great. The #3 or #4 size has been best. I have a bunch of Lindy Darter's too, but have not caught much on them. I would like to cross into the rattlebait scene but have not done it yet.

DirtyMike, I just looked up that mold for the Shiver Minnows. Almost looks like a Shiver Minnow got 3D scanned. Mold is nice but $$$$$, with tails and wires plenty spendy too. If I could figure out how to manufacture the tails I think it would be feasible. Acrylic sheet cut on a laser and then heat molded would work I think. My mind is running now, a couple blank molds from Do-it could be cut with my CNC. Should be able to model what I want with Solidworks too. The possibilities!

NDsniper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being a proud owner of all the latest and greatest ice fishing lures from the last 10 years. I usually find myself being humbled by my 11 year old son who refuses to use anything besides a red hook and live bait.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, this was exactly the type of discussion I wanted to get going.....imagine that lol....Anyway , how do you guys like the banana jigs, or those Northland longer flatter jigs? The ones you definitely put minnows on? They seem to have made a ton of new ones the last few years, and any new ones this year.?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
DirtyMike, I just looked up that mold for the Shiver Minnows. Almost looks like a Shiver Minnow got 3D scanned. Mold is nice but $$$$$, with tails and wires plenty spendy too. If I could figure out how to manufacture the tails I think it would be feasible. Acrylic sheet cut on a laser and then heat molded would work I think. My mind is running now, a couple blank molds from Do-it could be cut with my CNC. Should be able to model what I want with Solidworks too. The possibilities!

I think you and I need to talk in regards to getting a mold done for jig raps and the like. I'm handcuffed by whats available rather than having the knowledge of working any sort of software and cutting/milling machines.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you put minnows on a rippin rap? Hmm just one or one on each treble? I have one, but haven't got anything on it yet. My deadlines I usually use a plane hook, or sometimes those flutter jig hooks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had those chubby darters for a few years and have NEVER caught a fish on one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71