Taxidermy unit 4B north of Beach

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone here know of a taxidermist or someone else in the 4B hunting unit willing to cape a mule deer off the skull? This is the unit north of I-94 along the Montana border. I’ve never done it and my hunting buddy has not done it either. Because of the CWD restrictions a full head and cape isn’t supposed to be transported out of the unit. The goal would then be to bring the antlers and cape back to Bismarck for a shoulder mount. We will be back out there Thursday through Sunday to hunt the last four days of the season. Just trying to be proactive in case the tag goes on a big one.

Thanks for any names or suggestions.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are lots of YouTube video's on capping out a Deer head. The tear ducts can be a problem along with lips and nose.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go into TSC or Runnings wheee they keep the veterinary supplies and grab yourself a couple of disposable scalpels. More control with those short and very thin blades.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dirty, Have you ever skinned a coyote or coon? The process is the same when it comes to the head. As SDMF said get yourself a scalpel with replacement blades. Start using your regular skinning knife, and when you gut the deer DO NOT slit the belly past the rib cage. To make sure you do not cut the cape too short, cut around the entire deer in the middle of the body(the taxidermist can cut off what they don't need). Then make a cut following the spine all the way to right between the ears. From there you turn that "spine cut" into a Y by cutting to the back side of each antler using the scalpel upside down so the blade is up. Now go back and skin the deer just like normal with your skinning knife. On the front legs, cut them off at the "elbows" and make a slit on the back side so you can skin around them. keep working the hide all the way up to the neck. **From this point on 1. Use only the scalpel 2. Cut as close to the skull as you can and 3. You will have to work around the head evenly (meaning you can't cut around the right antler burr, skin past the right eye, and cut the right tear duct out and then go to the left side and do the same). Now go back and carefully cut/work your way around each antler burr. Once you get around the burrs, the eyes are next. Stick your finger in the back corner of the eye so you can feel where to cut. Cut following the curve of the skull around the eye. The tear ducts are tricky, so when you get to the front corner of the eye it is important to remember to cut as close to the skull as you can and use the point of the scalpel. Once you get passed the ducts go to the mouth and start skinning back toward the ducts. Do the bottom jaw first. Right where the teeth meet the gums, start skinning, stay as close to the jaw bone as you can and peel the lower jaw skin back about 3/4 of the way to the back corner of the mouth. Then do the top jaw the same, but the cut will be different because of the nose cartilage. Just cut as much of the cartilage as you can and leave it with the hide as the taxidermist can trim it. Now go back to where you stopped after getting by the tear duct and skin down a little ways. Put your finger in the back corner of the deers mouth and skin to your finger and you are done! Leave plenty of skull plate on the antlers so the taxidermist can trim to however they need it.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bryan, I appreciate the offer - sincerely. Thanks to the rest of you also. I do have an adequate supply of scalpels and access to YouTube As well as shorthairmans instruction above so I’m going to see if I can figure this out for myself. Thanks again guys.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll be in medora later this evening. I could cape him for u

- - - Updated - - -

If you want me to ask vollmer for my cell. I might not check back here or forget.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can change my own oil too, but would rather have it done, kinda like you where asking.

I know there is a guy in Belfield, but do not know of the Beach area.

Its like hiring a plumber, and then him giving you a youtube video, and selling you some tools...haha

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I mounted 100's of Deer heads and you will break them scalpels trying to skin around the burr of the rack. Once I made the cut to the burr. I would take a hammer and screwdriver and tap between the hide and skull plate to get the hide off that part of the skull.

You just have to be smarter than the hide or skull.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ll be in medora later this evening. I could cape him for u

- - - Updated - - -

If you want me to ask vollmer for my cell. I might not check back here or forget.

thanks man. Deer isn’t on the ground yet. Not heading back that way until Wednesday and will hunt through Sunday if necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

According to what I read on G&F website a guy isn’t supposed to take it out of that unit since CWD has turned up there in deer in the past I guess. I have to assume a lot of folks aren’t aware of that and don’t adhere to that guideline. I will be honest...never knew it until someone pointed it out to me very recently.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same schedule as you dirty except im likely doing a field euro. Not excited to deal with all that water in freezing temps but whatever i guess. These laws sure make it a SOB.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was 50 yesterday in Beach. Snow was melting. The bucks were running with the does.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mounted 100's of Deer heads and you will break them scalpels trying to skin around the burr of the rack. Once I made the cut to the burr. I would take a hammer and screwdriver and tap between the hide and skull plate to get the hide off that part of the skull.

You just have to be smarter than the hide or skull.

Scalpel is for the eyes and lips.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Buck 110 or similar with a “very substantial” tip for the burs

tapping screwdriver sounds pretty effective - like carving wood

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
5F2B8411-E994-4EAE-8959-A8202CA0D8F9.jpg
I caped my buck and used only a havalon knife (scalpel).

you just have to be smarter than the hide or skull..

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice deer Bowhunter. I agree, and have also done it all with the scalpel, if your careful. 1less...if I’m at home, the hammer and flat screwdriver come out to do that part of the job, but I didn’t think Dirty wanted to carry a hammer and screwdriver around in his pack on his hunt...I guess if he is close to his truck he could have packed it, but figured the scalpel would be easier to pack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74