hair on elk cape

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does a guy go about getting their cape tanned?

Most any local taxidermists handle that? Obviously we want gal’s specific cape back.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Side note did you weigh the cape. They asked if I wanted the cape picked half it up and it was a quick nope. They have to be at least 120 pounds

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would check with some local taxidermists first, but you could always ship the dried hide to a tannery. Used a tannery once, not cheap to ship, (as Kurt said...HEAVY)...but it turned out good I guess. It's been several years, but I believe it was Yost Tannery. They came recommended by a good taxidermist. I had to flesh and salt the hide until it was no longer wet. Once it was dried I folded it up, boxed it, and sent it on the way. I would say if you can find a tannery, they would tell you how to prep it. Good luck and congrats on the Elk!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]I would give Moyle Tannery a call and see what they say. They are a tannery in Idaho that a lot of trappers and taxidermists send to get hides tanned at. just a thought [/h]

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After the hide is skinned, remove the excess fat and meat. Take special consideration to remove any excess fat or meat from the neck area. If the head is attached please remove it. Then salt the hide.
HOW TO SALT A HIDE
Lay the hide out flat with the hair side down. Try find a place that is not exposed to the elements, is protected from pets and other animals, and is consistently 40-70 degrees. (When the temperature drops below 40° the process begins to slow. Salt produces a little heat as it is absorbed so it is important to keep the ambient below 80° if possible. Above 80° the hair follicle can be damaged.)

Make sure there are no pieces of meat or fat over 1/4 inch thick. (The salt won't be able to penetrate.)

Cover the hide using a fine grain non-iodized salt.
(We recommend Hay & Stock Salt which is inexpensive and abundant. The iodine in iodized salt can stain the hide.)

DO NOT USE ROCK SALT. (The hide doesn't have enough moisture to break down the large crystals.)

It takes about one pound of salt per pound of hide. Don't worry, it is impossible to over-salt a hide.

Let the hide lay out flat for 4-5 days. The salt will pull the moisture from the hide as it preserves it. As the hide absorbs the salt, cover any bare spots with more salt. Be carefull when leaving the hide out in the open.

Direct sunlight will dry the hide out too quickly.
Rain can wash the salt away which means starting the process again.

After 5 days roll up the hide, flesh side in. (The hide is not completely cured out but it is good enough for shipping. It takes 10 days to completely cure out a hide.)

When packing the hide put several newspapers on the bottom of the box to absorb any moisture that might drain from the hide during shipping.
DO NOT WRAP THE HIDE IN PLASTIC (May cause the hide to get a fungus).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most taxidermist shops will flesh, salt, and ship your hide for you.

It's been a few years since I ran one through Dakota Taxidermy here in Bismarck (I don't know if they still help, or not), but it was about $270 for the full hide. And like I said, it's been a few years. I have also sent hides away using Nature's Reflections the past few years. They will flesh and salt the hides for you to make sure the hide is suitable for shipping and tanning.

Fun fact, a lot of taxidermists ship their hides in bulk to tanneries in Michigan. Due to the COVID, the Michigan governor shut down all non-essential businesses last Feb. This included tanneries. My taxidermist is still waiting on my cape from last year. Last I checked, he said it was still 10-12 weeks out way back in late Aug or early Sept.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75