Winchester SX4 vs Franchi Infinity

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which is the better shotgun? I know one is gas and one is interia, but look at an auto 12 or 20 guage for pheasants.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think i am getting the franchi for Xmas it felt the best to me when shouldering them. From reading reviews seems reliable. I am going three inch as I see no need for the 3.5 with advancement in steel shot

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winchester SX4 is made in Turkey. Winchester SX3 has FN chrome lined barrel. Find an SX3. I’m not sure I’ve ever cleaned mine.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
something to consider is felt recoil,the sx4 is very soft recoil,buddy has been shooting one for a couple years,no issues,no intel on franci,entry level like stoeger.,fixed barrel which eliminates barrel upgrades down the road like a slug barrel or longer barrel length.

Wouldn't worry anout how either one feels off the rack,one size doesn't fit all ,fit in the field with a hunting coat on will change up things right quick compared to in store but you can tweak either shotgun fit to your liking,from P.O.I to L.O.P.(point of impact and length of pull)cast cant etc for a more custom fit.to many folks get hung up on how these shotguns feel off the rack,usually with a lite shirt on,hell a guy that's 5'2 with short stubby arm's might not like any shotguns off the rack but will make em work,then a guy 6'5 comes along and likes the fit when shouldering,but he finds out the LOP is to short so he gets a bloody nose from his thumb as he shoots,in which case a shim is needed to extend the length of pull.

my .02,don't be afraid to check out beretta,darn nice entry level shotgun A300 .flat shooting sucker but nice shotgun for the money.

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winchester SX4 is made in Turkey. Winchester SX3 has FN chrome lined barrel. Find an SX3. I’m not sure I’ve ever cleaned mine.
I concur. Had my X3 since 2008. I shoot a couple or 3 cases a year. Just keeps shooting. Built by FN, not turkey.....also possibly remember something about portugal? Anyways...

I was not impressed when i saw the changes to the X4. I dont believe time will favor them. In regards to the x4 over the franchi? I think i'd still go winchester based off experience. I havent shot or know of anyone with the franchi but seems like a decent gun.

Kurt, the 3.5 is still nice, almost necessary for late season snows if you are into that. The other option is shooting the expensive bismuth. I must shoot too much, can't stomach the price even on sale.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Found a Benelli Nova on a field approach on Saturday. But I did not need another shotgun so I used my super snoop abilities and got it back to its rightful master within a hour. The young hunter was vary happy.:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I concur. Had my X3 since 2008. I shoot a couple or 3 cases a year. Just keeps shooting. Built by FN, not turkey.....also possibly remember something about portugal? Anyways...

I was not impressed when i saw the changes to the X4. I dont believe time will favor them. In regards to the x4 over the franchi? I think i'd still go winchester based off experience. I havent shot or know of anyone with the franchi but seems like a decent gun.

Kurt, the 3.5 is still nice, almost necessary for late season snows if you are into that. The other option is shooting the expensive bismuth. I must shoot too much, can't stomach the price even on sale.

Back in the day did alot of pass shooting and it would i could see it there being a advantage. Really got into decoying in fields and water so 40 yards is a long shot for me. found that black cloud at 1650 fps in 2 shot is a killer.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
nd bismuth is okay beyond 40yds @$18/box,but better yet is Hevi-x night n day better than any steel loads no matter the make steel is steel lacks down range kinetic energy ,weight comparison: steel 7.8g/cc bismuth 9.5g/cc hevi -x 11g/cc (composit shot like bismuth only tungsen) great loads for pass shooting that won't break the bank,100% hevi shot 12g/cc but spendy,but if you shoot over dekes inside 40yds any of the steel brands do the job just fine.

hevi shot has a fast load called "speed ball" its a duplex load of copper clad not -(plated so the copper on the steel pellets is much thicker.) steel pellets for added weight and hevi shot 50/50 @1650fps 3",further the hevi pellets are 2 sizes smaller than steel pellets so each shell has 20% more pellets because of the smaller pellet size putting more pellets on target example #2 in speed ball or hevi metal is 50% #2 steel shot and#4 in hevi shot pellets.#2's and 4's in hevi metal proved to be a great load for snow geese,smaller pellets penetrate better.

my experience with 12ga 3.5 ammo,patterns suck,if a guy needs to reach out nothin better than a 10ga.larger diameter bore enhances the pattern but thats me,love to pass shoot,folding up high flyers stone cold dead with the 10ga.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Which is the better shotgun? I know one is gas and one is interia, but look at an auto 12 or 20 guage for pheasants.
You might want to shoulder them. I wasn’t a fan of they way the Franchi shouldered. I like the idea of the inertia system compared to the gas.

Another gun brand to check out is Retay. Same design as Benelli but cheaper

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy a case of Heavy steel each year. Sometimes Roger's will have them for $129 but usually 149. I shoot the 3 in 1 1/4 oz BB. I shoot it for everything-ducks, geese, pheasants. I believe it has a innovative wad system. It is 1500 fps also. Hits fricken hard! I crushed a 24lb swan this year with it at about 50 yds and routinely kill geese at 40-50yds graveyard dead. I really like it. Fast, patterns well and hits hard.

Im thinking of buying a cheaper auto too for upland. I have a sxs 20 guage which is fun but sometimes not realistic. Otherwise I have 2 beretta extremas which are cannons to carry after awhile. How about those weatherby sa-08s?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
nd bismuth is okay beyond 40yds @$18/box,but better yet is Hevi-x night n day better than any steel loads no matter the make steel is steel lacks down range kinetic energy ,weight comparison: steel 7.8g/cc bismuth 9.5g/cc hevi -x 11g/cc (composit shot like bismuth only tungsen) great loads for pass shooting that won't break the bank,100% hevi shot 12g/cc but spendy,but if you shoot over dekes inside 40yds any of the steel brands do the job just fine.

hevi shot has a fast load called "speed ball" its a duplex load of copper clad steel pellets for added weight and hevi shot 50/50 @1650fps 3",further the hevi pellets are 2 sizes smaller than steel pellets so each shell has 20% more pellets because of the smaller pellet size putting more pellets on target example #2 in speed ball or hevi metal is 50% #2 steel shot and#4 in hevi shot pellets.

my experience with 12ga 3.5 ammo,patterns suck,if a guy needs to reach out nothin better than a 10ga.larger diameter bore enhances the pattern but thats me,love to pass shoot,folding up high flyers stone cold dead with the 10ga.

I guess I'm just tight. I'd love shooting the stuff, but I can't stomach anything over $22-23/a box. Probably because I shoot, and miss, too much! Ha!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the recent shortage of shotgun shells I think I am going to break the old mec our. My father in law gave me his with a whole bunch of 2 shot and all the components anyone got a good load

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a Benelli Nova on a field approach on Saturday. But I did not need another shotgun so I used my super snoop abilities and got it back to its rightful master within a hour. The young hunter was vary happy.:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup

Good on you LB,good karma bestow on you.

Flannel

I just picked up the Affinity 3 maybe two months ago and have been very impressed so far. This pheasant season it has not disappointed me and bonus that it is very easy to clean!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77