Strikemaster Lithium VS ION

rapala_09

Honored Member
I have the strikemaster and my dad has the ion. The biggest difference I have noticed is opening old holes. My strikemaster likes to bind up and doesn't do as good of a job. The ion seems to open holes with no issues. I am sure that has to do with a different style blade? I guess I'm not sure.

Also, I think I picked up my 8" strikemaster with 2 batteries for $500. He bought his Ion used, but I think the new ones with two batteries were quite a bit more expensive.

Other than the old hole opening, they both drill about the same..... And that is Excellent. you cant go wrong either way.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would buy a drill and a auger. why f around trying to buy a battery down the road when both strike master and ion have their own batteries that they rape you for.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SM weighs as much as a gas auger. No thanks.

The ion is a no just for the sake of no.

buy a drill and buy an auger. Oh, and don’t waste your time with the clam plate unless you like more weight and bulk and less money in your wallet.

I started running the K-drill not long after they came out. I use a Milwaukee with the side handle. It’s light and slender making it easy to carry and easy to store during transport.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ion for me. I dont need a $300 drill for my home use so a good auger is the way I went. Reopens the holes in my ice castle great and works good for the portable to. Plenty of battery life for the way I fish.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also run a kdrill with a Milwaukee for a number of years now. Ran without the clam plate first couple years. Run with the clam plate now. In my opinion the clam plate was a worthwhile purchase for me. To each his own however.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strikemaster and don't look back. Had a k drill and burned up about 6 batteries and 2 drills in one winter, if ice gets thicker than about 18 inches they suck IMO. Got a liteflight for the strikemaster this year, can't weigh much more than a kdrill setup but have yet to bet able to try it out. I've had no problem reopening holes in the wheelhouse with the strikemaster and guess that would be the only time I'd ever reopen an old hole, just as easy to drill a new one. I've heard they made improvements on the ion from the first ones so they probably ain't bad either, but my vote would be SM.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strikemaster and don't look back. Had a k drill and burned up about 6 batteries and 2 drills in one winter, if ice gets thicker than about 18 inches they suck IMO. Got a liteflight for the strikemaster this year, can't weigh much more than a kdrill setup but have yet to bet able to try it out. I've had no problem reopening holes in the wheelhouse with the strikemaster and guess that would be the only time I'd ever reopen an old hole, just as easy to drill a new one. I've heard they made improvements on the ion from the first ones so they probably ain't bad either, but my vote would be SM.

Remm, curious what drill you burned up? Dewalt would be my guess. I THINK Milwaukee still has the 5yr warranty and WAS the recommended drill for the Kdrill a number of years ago. But do agree on your statement on when ice gets real thick. I have my trusty model 30 but yeah, i hear ya.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also jumped ship last year and picked up a K-Drill. I have at ton of Ryobi stuff because my dad is always getting me tools for Christmas. I realize Ryobi isn't "the" brand recommended, but I really didn't want to get a different brand of drill with different batteries. So I found a drill made by Ryobi that fit the specs minimums. Without a battery, it was like $100. Works great and zero issues. Granted I'm not a guy who is going to pound 100 holes in a day, but for what we went through, I'm pleased.

And as others have mentioned, the weight savings alone is a deal maker for me. I'm on the fence about selling my Strikemaster. She's a workhorse that never let me down. But boy, is she a hefty gal.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

remm - let me know how you like the Lite flight. I got the Strikemaster Lithium 40V 2 years ago...love it but with the regular flight she is still 23 pounds. Thanks man...

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody run a Landworks? They sell on Amazon. I am new to the ice fishing game this year and bought a gas Eskimo for now. I am assuming I will upgrade to an electric drill in the future.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Strikemaster has WAY more torque than the ION. You notice it when you are drilling thick ice with an extension. The lite flite cuts a lot of weight.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a K-drill with brushless Dewalt that I love for early and late ice especially when I'm walking out. After the ice gets thicker than about 18" I grab my 40v SM. I was skeptical about how the 40v would handle lake winnipeg but with two batteries I could drill 40 holes a day in 3'+ of ice. I'll never touch a gas auger again. I have no experience with the Ion.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remm, curious what drill you burned up? Dewalt would be my guess. I THINK Milwaukee still has the 5yr warranty and WAS the recommended drill for the Kdrill a number of years ago. But do agree on your statement on when ice gets real thick. I have my trusty model 30 but yeah, i hear ya.

You're correct, both drills burned up were dewalts, and that maybe was the issue but that's what I already had batteries for, they did warranty the drills but that doesn't help much if it burns up when you're on the ice trying to fish. I was happy with the setup for thin ice, just didn't work well in my hands with thicker ice.

I know a couple people after using my strikemaster last year on DL and up in big windy that have IONs sitting in the garage and bought strikemasters. As ahab said, there is much more torque, even with an extension or 2 on, it pulls you right through the ice. I never seemed to get quite the battery life out of them that they claim but that goes for anything so no matter what you get you'll probably want at least 1 extra if you like to move around and drill more than 4 holes a day. Another thing that helps with battery life is making sure your blades are sharp, dull blades suck a lot of juice.

catchindeers

I agree with Ahab, I do not own either but have friends that have them so I have used both. Hands down the SM is what I would buy between ION and 40v SM. I own a 7.5 K-Drill and a Fuel now for 3 years and absolutely love it and I use the drill around the house and for projects. When the ice get real thick, I just attach the K-Drill to my strikemaster solo 137 gas head with extension. Still super light and rips thru the dirty ice.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're correct, both drills burned up were dewalts, and that maybe was the issue but that's what I already had batteries for, they did warranty the drills but that doesn't help much if it burns up when you're on the ice trying to fish. I was happy with the setup for thin ice, just didn't work well in my hands with thicker ice.

Where the Dewalt's brushless?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How do the ion and strikemaster hold up to dirty ice? That’s why I went with a k drill so that my blades don’t turn worthless instantly.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^ The SM lazer blades cut like a hot knife thru butter...when they are new/sharp. They cannot take much in the way of dirty ice...ya gotta be careful with them.

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it's worth I have run an ION for the last three years, and have no complaints. I see Runnings has them on sale for $399 for the base model.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76