Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: New B.B. set up

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Premium Member
    Lapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    431
    NDA Points
    10,663
    NDA Level
    44
    Report Entries
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 500
    Given: 452
    Classifieds
    1

    New B.B. set up

    I know this has been hashed out before but from what I could find it’s a couple years old.

    im looking to get a couple new Bb set ups this year. I was thinks no fun doing it on the cheap and getting a couple of Ugly Stick 7 ft mediums. The guy at Scheels almost had me convinced I needed the 7 ft moderate walleye series with the bait casters for about 180 each. That’s the combo price hitch was about 50 bucks cheaper than buying separately.

    I use anywhere from 3/4 up to 2oz bouncers. What do you fellas think?

    1 Not allowed!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    450
    NDA Points
    12,684
    NDA Level
    48
    Report Entries
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 483
    Given: 332
    Classifieds
    1
    I prefer a baitcast for BBers,, I dont think you can go wrong with the Abu garcia black or silver max combos, decently priced and good quality.

    3 Not allowed!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Williston, ND
    Posts
    168
    NDA Points
    10,545
    NDA Level
    44
    Report Entries
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 316
    I would keep your BB combos under a 100$ then spend the rest on jigging sticks or tackle. i have a few of the pro angler edition from 7 to 8’6” there 50$ and under. I bought a couple KastKing bait caster reels last year and they are very nice to use and have great drag system for under 50$. Scheels will have there fishing sale at the end of the month so you can wait till then for the extra 20% off there combos and rods and reels.

    Good luck!

    3 Not allowed!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    387
    NDA Points
    17,240
    NDA Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 606
    Given: 479
    I ALWAYS use baitcast reels for for BB'ing. And to make it way easier, find baitcast reels with a flipping switch. The difference is the ones with a flipping switch work in a way that when you press the release to let line out as soon as you let off the release it quits putting out line. If you don't have a flipping switch, you'll have to turn the handle every time to stop the line from going out. The flipping switch lets you fine tune your depth way faster and with a lot less hassle than using a plain baitcast or a spinning reel.

    7 Not allowed!
    Last edited by gonefshn; 04-11-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: wording
    NPAA #888

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Ultimate VIP Member
    eyexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    williston
    Posts
    3,867
    NDA Points
    26,599
    NDA Level
    71
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,907
    Given: 2,441
    I only use flipping switch reels too. Near impossible to find new anymore

    1 Not allowed!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Ultimate VIP Member
    DirtyMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,572
    NDA Points
    495,256
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,991
    Given: 7,975
    Classifieds
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefshn View Post
    I ALWAYS use baitcast reels for for BB'ing. And to make it way easier, find baitcast reels with a flipping switch. The difference is the ones with a flipping switch work in a way that when you press the release to let line out as soon as you let off the release it quits putting out line. If you don't have a flipping switch, you'll have to turn the handle every time to stop the line from going out. The flipping switch lets you fine tune your depth way faster and with a lot less hassle than using a plain baitcast or a spinning reel.

    I have one baitcaster (ebay purchase) that duped me on the flippin switch. With that one, I just spin the spool back instead of reeling.

    0 Not allowed!
    <img src=http://nodakangler.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=229&dateline=1429714759 border=0 alt= />
    NPAA #939

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Ultimate VIP Member
    shorthairsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,549
    NDA Points
    101,078
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,484
    Given: 498
    Quantums still have flipping switches.

    2 Not allowed!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bismarck
    Posts
    14
    NDA Points
    648
    NDA Level
    9
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0
    I have two of the Scheels moderate walleye rods and really like them for bottom bouncing. Agree on the baitcasters with flippin switches.

    1 Not allowed!

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Ultimate VIP Member
    Rowdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,080
    NDA Points
    128,182
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,902
    Given: 1,633
    I found a used G-Loomis on Ebay for $120 and it's the best BB rod I've ever had. I put a real nice baitcaster on it. I also have a St Crouix I like a lot for BB.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    VIP Member
    RustyTackleBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Max
    Posts
    858
    NDA Points
    62,686
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 838
    Given: 1,225
    Classifieds
    1
    BB doesn't need anything fancy, you want a medium moderate rod and let the boat and rod set the hooks for you, I have run both spinning and bait casters (abu silvermax, the old ones) for me it doesn't make a difference spin vs caster, but I have friends that swear by their casters... as far as how much to spend, get the cheap scheels rods in medium moderate ($50-60 if i remember) and your choice of reel spin vs bait... for BB you don't need a super light reel or anything amazing either, just look for a decent drag pfleuger president is a great reel for the job, BB really rely's on that spongy rod to do all the work.

    To be honest, I think the cheaper rods work better because they are so spongy like the ugly sticks but scheels will replace theirs every time your kid or drunk buddy steps on it.

    2 Not allowed!
    2018 Warrior 21-21
    350 Suzuki
    9.9 Suzuki
    112lb Ulterra trolling motor
    12 and 10" humminbird solix
    9" garmin with LiveScope

    Bachelor's degree in interwebs bro science

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Premium Member
    AaronJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Devils Lake
    Posts
    300
    NDA Points
    4,413
    NDA Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 138
    Since I have gotten out of the guiding gig I am replacing all equipment with high end.

    Our Bouncer rods are always bought in pairs. Wife uses 2 Scheels One casting rods with Lews Speed Spool reels. I have 2 JT Ascendant (sp?) with Lews reels. Our back-ups are also in pairs, 2 AllStar rods and 2 13Fishing (cant recall model).

    I don't skimp anymore because I am less worried about breakage of equipment and I also got sick of burning through a few Silvermax or Black Max reels each season (wrecked drags, etc).

    1 Not allowed!

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Vollmer Vollmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Surrey, ND
    Posts
    5,358
    Report Entries
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,898
    Given: 14,748
    Classifieds
    2

    Owner Post Founder Of Nodak Angler | Community Owner Response

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyTackleBox View Post
    BB doesn't need anything fancy, you want a medium moderate rod and let the boat and rod set the hooks for you, I have run both spinning and bait casters (abu silvermax, the old ones) for me it doesn't make a difference spin vs caster, but I have friends that swear by their casters... as far as how much to spend, get the cheap scheels rods in medium moderate ($50-60 if i remember) and your choice of reel spin vs bait... for BB you don't need a super light reel or anything amazing either, just look for a decent drag pfleuger president is a great reel for the job, BB really rely's on that spongy rod to do all the work.

    To be honest, I think the cheaper rods work better because they are so spongy like the ugly sticks but scheels will replace theirs every time your kid or drunk buddy steps on it.

    I have a few President Reels, and I like them, but then I tried a Daiwa Regal, which is also in that $50 range, and I prefer that reel. It is much smoother, and a better drag (IMO).

    http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/ree...llt/index.html

    0 Not allowed!

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Williston
    Posts
    622
    NDA Points
    45,508
    NDA Level
    93
    Report Entries
    5
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,120
    Given: 796
    I too am a Phleuger guy. Rods and reels.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Ultimate VIP Member
    eyexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    williston
    Posts
    3,867
    NDA Points
    26,599
    NDA Level
    71
    Report Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,907
    Given: 2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by shorthairsrus View Post
    Quantums still have flipping switches.
    Only one that does now from what I’ve found.

    0 Not allowed!

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Ultimate VIP Member

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,619
    NDA Points
    1,385,602
    NDA Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,631
    Given: 1,094
    Classifieds
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shorthairsrus View Post
    Quantums still have flipping switches.
    Their Accurist has the flippin switch. I have one and it is similar to the silvermax on quality IMO.

    0 Not allowed!

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Ultimate VIP Member
    Captain Ahab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    3,768
    NDA Points
    131,858
    NDA Level
    100
    Report Entries
    7
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,664
    Given: 2,535
    Classifieds
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by eyexer View Post
    Only one that does now from what I’ve found.
    Lew’s still makes one as well.

    0 Not allowed!

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Gold Member

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Devils Lake
    Posts
    114
    NDA Points
    5,818
    NDA Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 72
    Classifieds
    1
    How many BB set ups are you looking for? I have a couple that I am selling. They are Fenwick 7'0' MF HMG Casting rods with Quantum Accurist reels with the flipping switch. Used 1 season and reels are spooled with braid. They work great. $120 a piece. PM me if you are interested or would like more info.

    1 Not allowed!

  18. Back To Top    #18
    Premium Member
    Lapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    431
    NDA Points
    10,663
    NDA Level
    44
    Report Entries
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 500
    Given: 452
    Classifieds
    1
    I had a buddy make me a couple of rods last year and I am not happy with them, too stiff. So I was really just interested in what everyone else is using, I have been using old unpaired rods for years and alway caught fish. I think I am in the school of not wanting to drop a bunch for bouncing rigs. I have a couple of new Pfleuger reels from those rods last year and I think I’ll look at the lower end Scheels or the Ugly sticks.

    thanks for the input!

    0 Not allowed!

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Vollmer Vollmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Surrey, ND
    Posts
    5,358
    Report Entries
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,898
    Given: 14,748
    Classifieds
    2

    Owner Post Founder Of Nodak Angler | Community Owner Response

    Quote Originally Posted by Lapper View Post
    I had a buddy make me a couple of rods last year and I am not happy with them, too stiff. So I was really just interested in what everyone else is using, I have been using old unpaired rods for years and alway caught fish. I think I am in the school of not wanting to drop a bunch for bouncing rigs. I have a couple of new Pfleuger reels from those rods last year and I think I’ll look at the lower end Scheels or the Ugly sticks.

    thanks for the input!

    Berkley Lightning rods are a good cheap stick.

    4 Not allowed!

  20. Back To Top    #20
    VIP Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,008
    NDA Points
    8,906
    NDA Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 0
    Classifieds
    1
    I got some money burning a hole in my pocket and have found a couple good deals on a couple loomis E6x rods. One is a 7’ medium spinning fast for $120 and one is a 8’6” medium casting fast for $130. I can’t decide which one to buy. Mainly would be fishing BB and cranks

    0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About Nodak Angler

    NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

Business & Contact

Follow us on

Facebook Instagram Twitter