Using Atv in ND winters

Rugeruser

Looking into using an atv this winter for ice fishing. What suggestion are out there to help with starting them in the cold conditions? What oil, battery, coolant?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at your ATV’s operating oils in the manual, choose the thinner weight listed for colder operating ranges. Have the highest CCA available for your battery. Consider having a spare or a jump pack along if reliably is a factor. Get a coolant tester and test how cold your coolant is safe to. I’d want mine to -30ish or better.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d be more concerned with battery and antifreeze first, oil last. It’s not like you’re running a diesel. Ask yourself this question: how reliable is your ATV?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put new batteries in mine every other year. I don't take the chance of a battery going bad. And I run 0 - 20 full synthetic oil. I put hand warmers and windshield. A windshield helps a lot on your hands and face.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
EFI makes a lot of cold-weather issues go away.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
EFI is a biggy. Chains may also be your best friend unless doing trks.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy yourself a guard like mud flaps for your back tires you will thanks me later also if you are a true run and gun fishing off your atv then pulling a portable. Where you may hook up a head unit onto your rig use two batteries just in case also buy some heatied handle grips and a windshield or a cab attachment maybe. I have a 97 sportsman's 500 it doesn't have efi and it starts up every time. Again if you pull a portable buy something to keep your portable from getting snow or slush packed on it.
Another place that will give you lots and lots of good ideas is ice shanty that is where I got my ideas from good look and be safe

Blackice

I bought a $70 small battery jump back and throw it in the storage compartment. Have never had to use it but nice knowing it's there just in case. Chains are nice when there is no snow on the ice.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://magnummudflaps.com/product/atv-mudflaps/
IceFishing.png
Get your self some kind of hard cargo case like an otter box to put your gear in like this

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product-category/accessories/atv-boxes/

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to use tracks you can look at another option called the j wheelz

http://j-wheelz.com/

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a battery tender on mine. Leave it plugged in all the time when not using it.

walihunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will definitely want chains, especially the way this season is starting with no snow cover...

dschaible

Established Member
My carbureted Polaris Sportsman 500 really struggles when the sun goes down and its -8+ below. I will start it up every 30 minutes and let it run a bit. I also rigged it up to use a full size truck battery vs atv battery. Front/back chains are very useful.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://magnummudflaps.com/product/atv-mudflaps/
Screenshot_20230327_103702_Chrome.jpg
Get your self some kind of hard cargo case like an otter box to put your gear in like this

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product-category/accessories/atv-boxes/

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to use tracks you can look at another option called the j wheelz

http://j-wheelz.com/

Looks like these mudflaps would work good, until you had to backed up in deeper snow and tear them off. Have seen it happen many times with trucks, don' think this would be any different. Personal opinion. . .

Rugeruser

Thanks for all the ideas! I do have the otterbox storage, auger tube, extra lights, heated grips, and chains! Still need a windshield and mudflaps seem to be a great oversight! Will have to put oW oil in and probably a new battery and plugs. Also was recommended by a mechanic to actually go backwards and use 87 with ethanol as it will get used abundantly and the gas is always fresh at the pump, with ethanol to evaporate the condensation

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the ideas! I do have the otterbox storage, auger tube, extra lights, heated grips, and chains! Still need a windshield and mudflaps seem to be a great oversight! Will have to put oW oil in and probably a new battery and plugs. Also was recommended by a mechanic to actually go backwards and use 87 with ethanol as it will get used abundantly and the gas is always fresh at the pump, with ethanol to evaporate the condensation

would have never thought to use ethanol gas in the winter. Good tip.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
EFI makes a lot of cold-weather issues go away.
I bought a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700/w plow end of last winter, never got a chance to try it as it never snowed that much to push the snow, main reason I have the ATV

Had a Kaw Prairie Twin 700, was a sob to start if if sat in sub cold weather for weeks,(carb) but once you got it running damn thing ran like champ, sold and bought the above.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76