Ice Conditions OAHE

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
OAHE froze over last night, and still looks skinned over both north and south of town with only a few open spots. So I though I'd start a place to report ice thickness or other conditions on this body of water. I wanted to get my boat out one more time if only to say I've had it out in December.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mid 40's sunny and wind the rest of the week, cant imagine it wont open back up.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
North and south of what town?

Fort Yates, the wind came up and opened it back up though. That's good, I want to get back out in my boat at least 1 more time. Not only are they biting, but I want to be able to say I've taken it out in December.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It skinned over somewhat last night. We had to break ice in the boat today to get to our spot.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 BOAT rigs out of Ft. Rice yesterday. One coming off the water as we pulled a drive by at the launch. NO ice on the boat dock at shore. Looked to be a favorable day on the water for those boys. We were just driving the countryside to see what was going on in this world. No boats at Graners but the water at the launch/shoreline was frost free 'bout 11 am.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Icvs6Fqj3ZcZTVK_t3QlAbfOIm0h7XVg/view?usp=sharing[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know if you were able to view video and the quality. We had to break a little ice yesteday.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked with my brother last night, and he limited down there (3 man) last Saturday when it was 60 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

20201203_160645.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
from what i have heard the fish are footballs this year hopefully the coe dont f it up and it keeps trending up. I would like to experience what it was like in the 80's when my dad used to fish out here

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 90's were even better for big fish than the 80's. In 94 through 98 you could limit on 5 lb fish. One year 96 maybe, you had to have over a 5lb avg in the Parson's fishing Tournament just to make the top 10. I can tell you that the fish we've been cleaning have bellies full of shad and some minnows.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt with your slots in SD things are really great up here across the border. Thanks again!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt with your slots in SD things are really great up here across the border. Thanks again!

any thing to help we love being the friendly neighbor

- - - Updated - - -

also we appreciate that you guys take care of all the duck hunters so we dont have to deal with them busting the roost down here

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the year I was getting back into ice fishing and bought almost everything I need right away in the fall, so of course we won't get much ice fishing weather. However, I will not complain about this weather. I have been enjoying it and have been thinking getting the camper out of storage.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s very festive to release fish for your neighbors to the north! Merry Xmas!

- - - Updated - - -

waterfowl hunters by the 10’s of thousands...I can’t say any thanks for that lol.

Last edited:

firetiger

Does anyone know if the beaver bay boat landing opened back up or not accessible?
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the beaver bay boat landing opened back up or not accessible?
Thanks

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It must be open, two boats were down here yesterday and they headed back north and never came back to Cattail Bay, which looked ice free yesterday.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night it skinned over again, 1/2 inch skin.. Broke ice with my boat from Yates ramp straight to channel spot..Sorry if my info lead you down a frozen path. My thermometer said the low for today was 22 degrees. I'm shocked that a night like that skinned it over. It was still open right in front of Winona Island about 50 yards .
offshore. A boat did make it down from Beaver, and I did see some up north of porcupine creek .

- - - Updated - - -

Water temp on graph said 32.7, 1 degree cooler than yesterday. So OAHE is ready to tighten up! If a 22 degree night put a half an inch on it one night in the teens may cover her up. Oh the fishing sucked today.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were at Cattail this morning. Iced up good. The wind must have blown it in Saturday. We went to Beaver and launched. Drove through about one hundred yards of ice to get to open water. There were several boats out. Fishing was crazy but not much for size.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77