Maven optics

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to upgrade some binoculars. Looking at maven b1 10x42. Anyone have any of these or Maven products that can share your thoughts?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard good things about them. Almost got a pair but then swaro slc went down 200 so I went that way

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have a rifle scope that’s very appealing to me. Never laid hands on one though

NDwirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the B.2 9x45, really like them and best glass I've looked thru in low light. I did their demo program with B.2 11x45s and wasn't impressed with the focus wheel, very hard to keep clear site picture. Apparently that was their biggest complaint with people testing those. Sent those back and demo'd the 9x45. Just kept the demo pair I got, saved a little bit off full retail. Both Bino's appeared brand new even though they were considered "Demo's". Customer service was great to work with when testing them out and asking questions.

I recommend them to friends and would suggest the trying a pair out. Most your out is the return shipping if you don't like them. Good deal if you going to drop $1K.

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used their Demo program also. Great way to check out their optics since they sell direct to consumers. I ended up buying a customized B series last year early in the fall. I love it. next to my friends swaro, very very little difference that we could see in low light situations. I had the money for a swaro, but with saving more than a grand, I bought another pistol and bought both my sons a C series during their Cyber Monday event last year.

I have shown other friends them, and most have purchased one after doing the Demo program.

Good luck.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In that price range I would (and have) be buying Meopta Meostar/Cabelas Euro.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the B.2 9x45, really like them and best glass I've looked thru in low light. I did their demo program with B.2 11x45s and wasn't impressed with the focus wheel, very hard to keep clear site picture. Apparently that was their biggest complaint with people testing those. Sent those back and demo'd the 9x45. Just kept the demo pair I got, saved a little bit off full retail. Both Bino's appeared brand new even though they were considered "Demo's". Customer service was great to work with when testing them out and asking questions.

I recommend them to friends and would suggest the trying a pair out. Most your out is the return shipping if you don't like them. Good deal if you going to drop $1K.

Meopta mesostars 10x42 is great glass, but those 9x mavens b2s are noticable brighter side by side. Go with the mavens.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate the feedback. Please if anyone else has suggestions I’m open to them. Right now I’m using a 10 or more year old set of Monarchs and wile they are ok they sure could be better. I want this to be my last set. Buy once cry once. I also don’t want to quite spend Swarovski $, as I know they are good, I just can’t quite justify it. Not that I can justify $950 either, but it’s easier.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So on the slightly more generic topic of optics, especially binoculars. I have a question. The lens on both my Nikon and Leupold binocs have a "blotchy" look if you are looking AT them, but not necessarily through them. It seems to be a problem with the coatings and I am guessing this is an issue related due to them hitting extremes on their temperature range. Accidentally leaving them on the dash when the heater is on in winter, wearing and using them when it's -40, etc.

Can anyone elaborate on what I am experiencing and just how expensive of Nikon/Leupold level binocs does a person have to go to not have this issue? Clay???

- - - Updated - - -

note, I am talking about optics in the $200-3XX range.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t look at em directly that should help.

Founding Member
Founding Member
In that price range I would (and have) be buying Meopta Meostar/Cabelas Euro.

This is good advise.

Or keep looking hard and buy a pair of older Swaro SLC or Zeiss victories are great glass in that price range.
Isn't maven the old Bruton outfit out of Riverton Wy?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So on the slightly more generic topic of optics, especially binoculars. I have a question. The lens on both my Nikon and Leupold binocs have a "blotchy" look if you are looking AT them, but not necessarily through them. It seems to be a problem with the coatings and I am guessing this is an issue related due to them hitting extremes on their temperature range. Accidentally leaving them on the dash when the heater is on in winter, wearing and using them when it's -40, etc.

Can anyone elaborate on what I am experiencing and just how expensive of Nikon/Leupold level binocs does a person have to go to not have this issue? Clay???

- - - Updated - - -

note, I am talking about optics in the $200-3XX range.

Use some canned air to get any "grit" off of them. Then try Luke-warm water and a dab of dish soap. Sometimes it's stubborn residue from condensation. Or, possibly your coatings are flaking off, hard to say without seeing them.

"Cleaning" lenses needs to start with a CLEAN cloth of some sort. My preference is the fairly small microfiber cloths that feel like "Terrycloth". If that cloth falls on the floor of the pickup, or onto the ground, that cloth no longer gets to touch any of my lenses. Don't use a shirt-tail, paper-towel pieces, or kleenexes. The very smooth almost like silk microfiber lens cloths work, but, IMO get dirty or "full" fairly quickly. Leupold lens pens are another example of a cleaner that can get "full" pretty quickly. I don't have very good luck washing lens cloths, it seems like there's always some soap residue left and they don't get lenses clean anymore, just smear fingerprints and condensation around without clearing it.

Allen, to answer you more directly. Most AR coatings on binos are pretty darn durable and long-lasting, again, assuming you're cleaning them with a CLEAN cloth.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, to answer you more directly. Most AR coatings on binos are pretty darn durable and long-lasting, again, assuming you're cleaning them with a CLEAN cloth.

Are the coatings on the interior of the lens, or the exterior? What I am seeing sure appears to be on the interior of the lens.

It probably needs to be said here, but I don't buy $1k binocs simply because I am not nice to my gear. While I tend to clean them with care, they absolutely get drug through the countryside as I hunt with them around my neck and if I'm on a crawl, they're in-between the ground and I. That being said, when I clean them, I take great care to not grind the snow/dust/dirt/leaves into the lens and it is not something I can clean off. Which is why I say it appears to be something on the inside of the lens, but I don't think the seal has been broken to where moisture/humidity has gotten in and is condensing on the interior side of the lens.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to hinder my view through them when I look through them, but it still bothers me just knowing it's there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
An optic listed a "Multi-Coated" is typically only coated on the outermost objective and ocular lenses. An optic listed a "Fully Multi-Coated" should be coated on every lens surface inside and out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coated. A thin anti-reflective coating (usually of magnesium fluorite) on one or more of the lens surfaces.

Fully coated. At least one thin anti-reflective coating on both sides of the objective lens system, both sides of the ocular lens system, and the long side of the prism.

Multi-coated. Multiple layers of coatings on one or more of the lens surfaces. Even some of the best optics available have only a single coating on the outside lens surface. This is done under the theory that a single coating is harder and more durable and the light reflected from the outer surface does not affect image contrast.

Fully multi-coated. Multiple coatings on all lens surfaces. Fully multi-coated lenses are typical of high-end optics. Although this level of coating does not guarantee the best quality (quality is in the execution), it is an indicator that greater care has gone into the design.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure my binoculars are tasco brand, and I have had them for 40 years, handed down from my rich father.

I could not fathom putting $1,000 or more into a set. I would struggle with a quarter of that.

Not sure if I am just an average Joe hunter, or maybe below average with my mentality of expensive shit like this being an entirely to common waste of money.

Never "glassed" a critter 800 yards away that I needed to chase after.

Anyone want any more financial advise, feel free to ask..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really enjoy every time I look through the swaro and knowing my kid will get them some day is even better. I have glassed multiple animals from along ways that I have gone after. Hell even finding ducks and geese early and late is better

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing worth looking at thru those things for those prices belong in the Coffee thread.;:;bowdown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75