Scope Recommendations

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recommendation for scope for Browning 22-250 lever ? 0ccasional coyote plinker.
Had to get this twin to my Dad's 243

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1, that should do anything you need!! :::

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed 6x Leupold, Meopta, SWFA, ETC. Wide FOV and very forgiving eye-box makes moving targets easier to find and hit in the scope.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
all of my rifles sport a Leopold of one variation or another. The boy just put one on his Browning Xbolt that after sighted in you send in the turret and have it customized to your bullet weight, fps, etc and you just click it to the distance you want to shoot, and blamo your hunt is done.

some of this might be missing info, or labeled wrong, as I am a once a year kind of shooter, unless I get that second tag of some sort.

My yote gun never changes.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
all of my rifles sport a Leopold of one variation or another. The boy just put one on his Browning Xbolt that after sighted in you send in the turret and have it customized to your bullet weight, fps, etc and you just click it to the distance you want to shoot, and blamo your hunt is done.....................

Yeh, that works wonderful so long as you always shoot the exact same bullet & load at the same altitude, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, ect. Otherwise, the you'll be off zero and it will get exponentially worse as you extend the range. Considering anything under 400 yds or so, a dialable turret really isn't needed, it kinda defeats the purpose. This theory of etch turrets seems to me to be driven by the "best of the west" and there use of Huskma scopes which really push the etched turret deal. To be honest, they almost sucked me in.

I was gonna do the same until I found how much an etched turret would limit the gun and/or how many etched turrets I would need. Food for thought. If your son wants to shoot long range, he'd be better off investing in a good range finder that takes all of the environmental components into account, along with shooting angle, and his load data and adjusts the MOA accordingly. JMHO

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should look at the trijicon AccuPoint TR20-1G 3x9 scope, I did a lot of reading of reviews of different scope set ups and for the money this scope always had excellent reviews. This is the scope I have on my 6mm remington very happy with the clarity of the glass Here is the link to look for yourself

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-accupoint-TR20

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeh, that works wonderful so long as you always shoot the exact same bullet & load at the same altitude, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, ect. Otherwise, the you'll be off zero and it will get exponentially worse as you extend the range. Considering anything under 400 yds or so, a dialable turret really isn't needed, it kinda defeats the purpose. This theory of etch turrets seems to me to be driven by the "best of the west" and there use of Huskma scopes which really push the etched turret deal. To be honest, they almost sucked me in.

I was gonna do the same until I found how much an etched turret would limit the gun and/or how many etched turrets I would need. Food for thought. If your son wants to shoot long range, he'd be better off investing in a good range finder that takes all of the environmental components into account, along with shooting angle, and his load data and adjusts the MOA accordingly. JMHO

yep, nothing beats mil or moa for versatility. Run your load to the best of your knowledge in a program. Shoot to confirm and adjust accordingly. You’re good to go.

If the OP’s 22-250 is a pickup gun, high power scopes with turrets rarely come in handy in most situations. A yote standing out at 550 like a statue to give you time is about all its good for.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yep, nothing beats mil or moa for versatility. Run your load to the best of your knowledge in a program. Shoot to confirm and adjust accordingly. You’re good to go.

If the OP’s 22-250 is a pickup gun, high power scopes with turrets rarely come in handy in most situations. A yote standing out at 550 like a statue to give you time is about all its good for.

A leveler action 22-250 is going to be just that, any good 3-9 up-to a 4-16 will be more than good enough. My first post suggesting the NF NX8 4-32x50 was completely in jest, I thought it was funny but apparently I wasn't very good at typing in my sarcasm. Guess I used the wrong emoji, lol! there, I went back and fixed it!

- - - Updated - - -

In all seriousness, a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 would fit the gun and the budget nicely and if it's your desire, for another $100 you can get a tactical version.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
A leveler action 22-250 is going to be just that, any good 3-9 up-to a 4-16 will be more than good enough. My first post suggesting the NF NX8 4-32x50 was completely in jest, I thought it was funny but apparently I wasn't very good at typing in my sarcasm. Guess I used the wrong emoji, lol! there, I went back and fixed it!

- - - Updated - - -

In all seriousness, a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 would fit the gun and the budget nicely and if it's your desire, for another $100 you can get a tactical version.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you. Most of my guns have MOA reticles and turrets. Rarely do I get to range and dial in a pickup gun situation. I’d rather have all the bells and whistles JIC though. Depends on what the OP is willing to spend I suppose. I find it crazy awesome how the newest scopes have such great low and high range power as in your example about the NF. I’m too invested at this point to make significant changes.

Im a 4.5-14 power guy over a 3-9, but that’s just me.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is just a rifle I bring along when out pheasant hunting. Usually don't see shit when got it along, but when I don't have with, well you know the story.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others mention a custom turret isnt going to work everywhere. I have two older 3x9 Leupold tactical scopes. I use them on 223 and 22-250. I buy white labeling tape, wrap it around the turret, run a program on my phone and label it for the elevation and temperature Im going to hunt.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't say but guessing a "lever gun" ain't gonna need a high powers scope?
And a lever gun would suck ass as a truck gun!! I'd bust my knuckles on the top of the door where the window dissapears into.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My vote is a fixed X from Leupold. Send it in to the company and have a German #1 installed. The reticle from "Enemy At the Gates" is German #1. Extremely fast, simple and precise; perfect for a levergun and point blank zero.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fixed leupold would be awesome on that or a low power leupold.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must be nearly the only fella on here who never imagined a scope on a lever action. I would have never imagined this many serious responses. :;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76