Molar Root Canal......Yay...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently received a dead molar for my 40th Birthday. It's been a gift that keeps giving as it was a death pain that has come, gone away, and came back in which I went to the dentist and they put me on some antibiotics that seemed to make it go away for a while. I go in Friday morning to see if they can see if they can roto-rooter my 4 rooted beast. Any tales for a guy to hear? The pain has been enough for me to look at a rag and a vice-grip a few times. Stupid dead molar.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I've had several. I have some original and some that failed and had to be redone (root canal, crown, root canal again several years later, crown repair). I have a hard time getting numb on my bottom teeth-usually get 2 or 3 shots and still feel part of it but usually root canals aren't too bad.

If the tooth is cracked or broken consider getting it pulled instead-I would be money ahead on a couple teeth if i would have gotten them pulled and implanted the first time.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an accident this summer and wound up busting my two front teeth (no Chrithmath joketh, pleath). They had to extract the one tooth, but left the other and rebuilt it as best they could. After a while, I realized I didn't have much sensation in it any more. Sounds like the fall killed that tooth, and they said to expect a root canal at some time in my future.

So other than the pain of falling and breaking my face, you'll have to let me know how this compares to other ailments you've had (rate it from papercut to stubbed toe to banging shin on hitch, etc.)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pull and implant. Wish that was around when I had to have mine repaired that failed years later.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard the same. Implants only way to go.

Mexico - if you're on a budget and feel lucky.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure you want to hear my recent horror story. About 3-4 months ago i THOUGHT i had a loose filling so didnt think much of it when i made a dentist appt.. well when they took xrays my upper tooth was cracked!! Dentist gave me some options and i said i would like to help him buy a bigger boat so decided to get a implant for that tooth. Couple grand for the whole process not counting the extraction He sent me to Grand Forks face and jaw surgery to do the SIMPLE tooth extraction and graft to set up for the implant in a few months after it has healed sufficently. GF is going to put the post in this spring and my regular dentist is going to do the abutement and crown. On a scale of 1-10 for pain during the SIMPLE extraction was a steady 7!
Fast forward to about a month ago.. the OTHER side of my upper mouth felt like filling was loose.. cripes... i asked if they could see me early.. xrays taken... yep.. the upper tooth..think a molar was cracked on the other side!! My freaking lucky day!!! Fill in dentist asked if i wanted it extracted since my mouth was semi numb already.. I said go for it.. OMG...they could not put enough novacaine in my mouth.. She says.. you will feel me working in your mouth but there shouldnt be an sharp pain.. wrong wrong wrong.. she gave me like 3-4 more shots and told me thats all she can give me.. hahahaa pain scale 8-9 pretty steady whilst she was attempting that SIMPLE extraction! I was sweating.. for what seemed like eternity when she took at little rest i asked her if she was done...to which she said..ummm no we just got the one of 3 roots.. OMG..anywayyyyy.. it was like 75 minutes before i got out of the freaking place. Jury is still out if i want to get an implant on the other side or a bridge or leave as is.

Happycamper

Honored Member
pull it and get it over with. Nothing cosmetic about a molar and before long you won't even miss it.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say go grab an ice skate with a bottle of whiskey and go all Tom hanks castaway style.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
wait until the biden cameltoe health plan takes effect. You can get your neighbor to pay for it, and your other neighbor to steal your guns while your are in surgery.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm a dental cripple and have had plenty of root canals. Only 1 or 2 were uncomfortable. Most were easy peasy.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one of those for Christmas a few years back. It hurt like hell so I flossed it really well. There must have been an abscess because the goop come pouring out and it felt really good.....for a while! That night I took a hydrocodone but after a couple of hours I was miserable. So I called for an appointment and was told by this young female receptionist that I could see the dentist in a week or more. I said no, it hurts like hell, so she put me on the call list and that afternoon I got a call to see the dentist in the morning. He took a look and said that I needed a root canal and prescribed some antibiotics and more hydrocodone. The antibiotics worked fantastic ally but I understood that they were only a temporary fix so I went ahead with the root canal. The procedure was not all that excruciating and there were no after effects. I am totally pleased with the results so other than the expense, no worries! Good luck with your situation!

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently received a dead molar for my 40th Birthday. It's been a gift that keeps giving as it was a death pain that has come, gone away, and came back in which I went to the dentist and they put me on some antibiotics that seemed to make it go away for a while. I go in Friday morning to see if they can see if they can roto-rooter my 4 rooted beast. Any tales for a guy to hear? The pain has been enough for me to look at a rag and a vice-grip a few times. Stupid dead molar.

If you have 4 rooted beasts, get an X-ray before anything. I have learned everything I need to know about my roots. I had a root canal on a molar back in the early 80s, Later on It started hurting again and I was working 7 days a week and didn't take care of it right away till it was unbearable . When I went back in he tapped on it with a teeny little tack hammer that felt like a post mall. I hollered AAAAAA and he sent me home with antibiotics. About an hour after I got home from the appointment my pain went from the scale of 7 to about 11or18 and I called him back up and told him I'm coming back in and I'm not leaving his office until he pulls that SOB. I went in and convinced him to pull it and later found out the damn novocaine doesn't work when you have an infection. He pulled, grunted and wiggled on it until he was played out and he wasn't a small guy . He took a rest and pushed the tray aside and damn near sat on my lap and gave it his all and I heard a pop that made my ears ring and I was relieved until he said, OHHHH. It broke off so I had to go to Minot to get it extracted with surgery. That Dr. made it look so easy , He stuck two pry bars in there and broke the roots in two and it came right out. It wasn't that bad but it hurt like hell.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will miss every tooth you get pulled. Bridges and implants aren't as good as the original equipment.

My dental horror story centers around wisdom teeth and a Naval dentist. Seriously bad combo platter right there.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had 2 and they're not bad. Just don't have it done when your are inflamed. Take antibiotics to kill infection then get it done.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had 2 as well...easy peezy. Worst part about the whole experience was the toothache before the antibiotics took affect.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
HSA master race :cool:

Eventually all my shit’s gonna break. Planning accordingly and dumping money into my HSA (pre-tax) like it’s an ammo sale.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76